Help I.D. a rear end tag 45B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help I.D. a rear end tag 45B

I have a rear end under a 61 Lark. I believe it to be a later model rear. It has finned drums. It is a Twin Traction with one of the tags noting: 3.31. That, I know is the ratio. The other tag has in large letters:45B. Can anyone help me with this? Is this the original rear for this car or is this from a later model? The axles are tapered. The backing plates use the later style wheel cylinders. The type with the staggered bolt holes. These are the same one I just replaced on a 63 disc brake car. Perhaps this rear end has later backing plates???

sals54
    sals54

The 45B refers to the disc&plate configurations of the TT pack. That's all. Everything else should be standard 44 stuff.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. Now... does this rear end belong under a 61? The brakes are almost certainly later style.

sals54
      sals54

Comment

The `45' refers to Twin Traction and the `B' refers to the type of clutch pack used at this time. A `45C' replaced the `45B' in 1963. The `45B' can be either a #27 or #44 rearend. The Studebaker part numbers are the same for a #27 from 1960 to 1962 and are the same for a #44 from 1959 to 1962. This is according to the chassis parts catalog (if I understood it correctly). Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Sal - yes. Correct for a 61.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
          X