Horn Button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horn Button

So you think Studebakers are expensive to restore? Check out this Tucker horn button:

[:0][:0][:0][:0]

That's worse than a '58 Packard Wagon tailgate emblem!

Of course, if you're restoring a Tucker, you pretty much know from the outset what to expect

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

The seller presents it as NOS, and I have no reason to doubt that's the case. Thing is, about 8 years ago or so, there were a number of these on ebay from time to time - all looking as nice as this one. In spite of my drive to collect horn buttons at that time, I never took the plunge for one of these because even then they were going for like $200 or so.

These things may be like the Tucker radios, in that more were made than Tuckers ever built. And it would be easy to conclude that because they'd have been contracted out with likely a set number of some significance to justify the dies and setup required.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1963 Cruiser
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

To the best of my knowledge only four Tuckers were ever "retailed". I doubt that they stocked parts and I doubt that they manufactured spare parts. They would have farmed out horn button production. Tucker couldn't even get a plant to make engines for him. There was a story once about a 48 Tucker owner who drag raced a 55 Olds Rocket. The Olds beat him off the line but the Tucker caught up and passed him. The Tucker owner later said he started in second 'cause it was on old car and parts were not available for it. Made sense to me.
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

As the story goes... Tucker completed fifty cars. He had parts for five hundred. Sadly, though he met all the requirements set forth by the government, had a Board of Directors who were trying to sink him, and a senator who was in on the sabotage, the man did manage to complete what he set out to do within the contract limits.

Then again, as far as Tucker goes, I've not a lot of information. Just two books and a movie (and we all know just how historically reliable movies are). I do find it interesting that his son went to work for the worst of the companies who attacked him. It's also interesting that this same fellow sued Studebaker over the Bullet Nose design whilst working for Ford. Now, does'nt that seem odd?[}]

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
          X