Start in 1st Valve.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start in 1st Valve.

I'm chasing a 'Start in 1st valve' for my FOM, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Time to try out the search mode. I don't think you can just change valves, but I still have hope. From what I've come to understand, you have to at least change the whole valve body. Personally, I think that's just a rumor started by valve body vendors...

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Aussie Hawk

I'm chasing a 'Start in 1st valve' for my FOM, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Matt
      Brisbane
      Australia

SASCO sold them, I think I sold N8 one, but not sure.

JDP/Maryland
      JDP Maryland

Comment

I've got two of those first gear start valve bodies stashed away. If you study the parts catalog that covers the '56 models, you can come to the conclusion that the ONLY difference between first and second gear start was the elimination of ONE SMALL SPRING to effect 2nd gear start. That is to say that if you could come up with a first gear start spring (and yes, I've tried. there WAS a time when these were in SASCO stocks, but they long ago sold out[V]), add it where it's required, you could have first gear start. And yes, I did check this against FOM tech expert, John Metzker.

I had a 56 Pres years ago that was an early one with 1st gear start. About 16 or 18 years ago, I took possession of a 56 Pres engine and FOM and quickly looked to see if the tranny fell within the early serial number range that would've meant 1st gear start.[:0] It did not.
        But if we could find a spring from one of those early units, we might could have some made. That said, I ain't really that anxious to. It doesn't seem to me to be such a big deal when I can just pull the lever down to first and up to D when I'm ready![:I]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1963 Cruiser
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

With the first gear start, you can up the ratio in the rearend and cruise the freeway. Hey, it's an AUTOMATIC transmission, right? A spring would be easy enough to find from a different valve body. Do you have any pics?

Comment

sigpic
            Ross.
            Riverside, Ca.
            1957 Provincial X2
            1958 Transtar

Comment

I have an NOS 1687309 Valve Body. $275
              Allen

Comment

I would have restricted the fluid to the second gear servo to soften the shift.

Comment

Also, I would have installed a higher geared rearend for better mileage.

Comment

Don't forget the Governor valve is different and needs to be changed (6 cyl.valve bodies/governor valves do the job)

1958 Golden Hawk
                    1962 GT Hawk
                    1963 Avanti R2
                    1963 Avanti Salt Racer
                    1952 Starlight
                    1958 Golden Hawk
                    1962 GT Hawk
                    1963 Avanti Salt Racer
                    1963 Avanti R2
                    sigpic

Comment

Ian I guess the price just went up on the one in the shop ha?? will try and get Trent to get it a part and off to you, just been busy as hell getting ready for trip to Minnesota, time goes fast when having fun...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
                      canbstudebakers-
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

Call me a hoarder. I have a pair and a spare. Do they work? Dunno but I got 'em! Ya just never know when ya might run into a FOM that is yearning for one.

Got one of these valve bodies from Bo and 2 from a guy in Idaho or Oregon or somehere out there. I think Dennis wanted $300 or 2 for $500 in Sacramento but I waited until late in the show and he said he had no more. When I called him a month or so later, I think he said $350 ea. I then got my 1st one from Bo for, I think, $275 and my others for about $250 (not really sure on any of the prices, memory being what it is) Imagine, buying just the valve body for what I useta pay for a whole car!

Bo told me I needed to disassemble his and clean it before installation. Guy in the NE said his didn't need it. Personally, I think I'd disassemble/clean any of them before installation just to be sure. If you're gonna do it, be careful, don't lose your balls.[)]

Obviously, tho I've had 'em for a couple of years by now, have not installed any on my LC, tho that is why I got them.

John

Comment

This is one I bought as an NOS 1st Gear Start. I sold the car I was going use it on.
                          Allen

Comment

Working...
                          X