explanation of why one of my cars died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• explanation of why one of my cars died

I was removing the transmission from one of my cars today and found a broken crank shaft. I've never even heard of such a thing happening.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

[:0][xx(]

Why is the crankshaft surface rusted so bad? And bolt holes filled with the dirt? I'm guessing this engine hasn't ran in a long time?

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

You give up way too easy
      (JP could have gotten it running with some Kroil)...
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Might need the I.V. Pole too Jeff.

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

What you have there is a Studebaker prototype Multi-Displacement engine...similar to the new Chrysler and GM V8 engines
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I'v heard of this happening with brand X's but never with a Studebaker It's usually due to improper line boring. NT

Neil Thornton
            Hazlehurst, GA
            '57 Silver Hawk
            '56 Sky Hawk
            '51 2R16 dump truck
            Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

That doesn't look so bad..... maybe some JB Weld will fix that thing right up? ? They say it fixes almost anything, right?

sals54
              sals54

Comment

Had a guy actually DRIVE a brand X pickup into a shop I worked at years ago. Made a lot of noise though.

Comment

Back in the early '60's a family friend was an engine re-builder at Arnold Motor Supply in Marshall, Minnesota. I was in one day getting some machine work done for my '51 Commander and he showed me the crank out of a semi... it had a diagional break in one of the center mains... and was really "hammered" looking, not a clean break. The story he related was the the driver started hearing a knock somewhere in Ohio, but he had a load that had to get to New Orleans. He unloaded there and hauled another load up to Minnesota before he went to a shop to check out the engine. I have no idea how many miles were driven with that broken crank, but it never stalled. Needless to say, they didn't Duck Tape that one... and JB Weld wasn't invented yet. It went to the scrap heap, but if I could have forseen a need for a "hard luck trophy"; that would have been it!

duane miller

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

[:0][xx(]

Why is the crankshaft surface rusted so bad? And bolt holes filled with the dirt? I'm guessing this engine hasn't ran in a long time?

Matthew Burnette
                    Hazlehurst, GA

Yes, Matt. It hasn't run in a while.[B)][8] The bolt holes are full of Mud-Dauber's nests. This is that wagon I have with all the rust. No lower rear quarters behind the wheels at all.

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

You give up way too easy
                    (JP could have gotten it running with some Kroil)...
                    quote:Originally posted by sals54

That doesn't look so bad..... maybe some JB Weld will fix that thing right up? ? They say it fixes almost anything, right?

sals54
                    LOL! You fellas are rich (LOL)! Yeah, I could just see the ad for it:

quote: Yes, this engine sat for twenty-five years exposed to the elements, no valve covers, no oil pan, and just soaking it overnight in Kroil solved all the lubrication and rust problems. However... this engine also had a broken crank shaft! However would we address such a serious problem? Why... with JB Weld of course! We had the engine running the next day and driving down the road. It became a combination Stationwagon and cyropractic vibrator![)]

Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I think the A/C compressor put to much force on the end of the crankshaft. Those full flow engines are over rated.[:0]

All kidding aside Ron. I've never seen a Stude V'8 with a crank like that before! It looks like it has been sitting for a long time. I think that a PO started to take it apart and saw the broken crank & stopped. I'm curious if once you pull the heads off that the pistons show an over bore? Or maybe # 8 rod bearing will indicate some #'s of a rebuild.
                      Like Neil mentioned, a line bore gone bad. Is that a 259 or a 289? Not that it matters at this point.

Gordon

Comment

You should hang that on the wall or something, its pretty weird seeing that.

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
                        Dylan Wills
                        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                        1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                        1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Years ago, I had a friend with a 67 Bronco powered by a 425 Olds. That was a monster. It had so much torque and power, it was difficult to handle. The only trouble was that it had a slight tapping noise in the engine when he really got on it. He drove it like that for about 6 months and decided to finally get it checked out. His mechanic decided to pull the heads after determining that it was definitely internal. He found a broken piston. The top of the piston had separated at one of the ring grooves and was lodged in the top of the cylinder. The tapping was the bottom part of the piston, (still connected to the rod), hitting the top part of the piston when it was under load. Once the engine was fixed, he sold the Bronco. He said it had so much more power, he was afraid to drive it. Imagine that kind of horsepower on a lifted, narrow, short wheel base truck. Like putting 400 HP in an old Military Jeep. Hang on for dear life.

sals54
                          sals54

Comment

In 2006 at the Bonneville Speed Week Dave Bloomberg split his crankshaft on his first run - I think in the same main to rod as in Ron's picture. Of course, under very different circumstances.

Thomas

Comment

Sal-

My friend has a First Gen Bronco. I always thought -what a cute little truck -that was until one day when it died in front of my shop and I had to help push the thing!!![:0]

Those Bronco's with all the goodies can easily weigh 2 tons!!

I don't think 400 horses is a lot for 4000lbs, but combined with the wrong(or right) kind of gearing and that short wheelbase and look out -it's Mr Toad's Wild Ride.

Last year my buddy and I installed a Holley TBI system on the 302 in his Bronco and mounted the controller under the dash so he can ajust on the fly for altitude and terrain. It turned out pretty slick considering we scored the system used on Craigslist

Comment

Working...
                              X