Under carpet thermal barrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under carpet thermal barrier

Has anyone used Hushmat or Dynamat under carpet. I am going to install new carpet in my 64 Avanti and would like to add some [u]thermal</u> insulation especially on the firewall and console area. I recently drove the car without carpet for an event about 50 miles away. It really gets hot on the console sides. Any ideas? They advertise the Hushmat as mostly for sound barrier.

1967 Riviera, 1964 Avanti R/2, 1953 Champion-R/1,4spd, Two 1967 Studebaker Gravely tractors
    1967 Riviera, 1964 Avanti R/2-R5096, 1953 Champion-R/1,4spd, Two 1967 Studebaker Gravely tractorssigpic

I've used both.
    BTW...Dyna-Mat has changed their material to a lighter weight material.
    According to them, it is just as good.
    Helps a lot.
    Jeff[8D]
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

see link I don't have 1st hand experience with them but they come highly recommended.

Second Skin Audio was built with one goal in mind: provide the best car sound deadening materials in the world, without exception, and without compromise.

quote:Originally posted by jtjim

Has anyone used Hushmat or Dynamat under carpet. I am going to install new carpet in my 64 Avanti and would like to add some [u]thermal</u> insulation especially on the firewall and console area. I recently drove the car without carpet for an event about 50 miles away. It really gets hot on the console sides. Any ideas? They advertise the Hushmat as mostly for sound barrier.

1967 Riviera, 1964 Avanti R/2, 1953 Champion-R/1,4spd, Two 1967 Studebaker Gravely tractors

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
      53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
      57 SH (project)
      60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
      53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
      57 SH (project)
      60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

I use Dynamat a lot. It's a great product that really does the job. Beware, though - it can be expensive. I usually buy the Dynamat Extreme 9 piece bulk packs off of eBay for $135 whenever I get a new Studebaker. That kit will cover the entire floor and the doors too, depending on the size of the car. Dynaliners for under the carpeting off of eBay for $100 are a good deal too. Buying the stuff retail will kill you - usually $40 for a single sheet of Extreme!

Scott Rodgers
        Los Angeles
        SDC Member since 1989
        '60 Lark HT
        '63 Wagonaire
        Scott Rodgers
        Los Angeles
        SDC Member since 1989
        \'60 Lark HT
        \'63 Wagonaire
        \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

I sprayed LizardSkin all inside my 53 coupe, but I've not gotten it on the road to judge it's worth. It's supposed to be sound AND heat-proofing, all in one. Not cheap - goes on with an undercoating gun.

I've painted the trunk and cabin floors of this 63 Cruiser with a stuff called Quiet Car. I'm also using Dyna-Mat-like self stick squares I bought from a local paint and body supply place. Can't recall the name of the stuff, but it was $36 bucks for 6 (each) 1 foot-square pieces of it. I put it on the roof and in the sail panels.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

For the die-hard CASOs in the crowd: try going to a Pick and Pull, and tear apart the interior of just about any of the '70s and newer boxy Volvos. Beneath the carpets, they have glommed onto the floor and transmission tunnel some heavy rubber-like sheets about 1/8" thick. They appear to be made of rubber that is loaded with lead or barite. It's HEAVY!

I've taken some out of wrecked Volvos, but have never tried using any of it. But you could probably get a whole armload for a buck or two.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Check out the foil covered foam (EZ Cool) at Lobucrod.com.
              I found his site from the Jalopy Journal HAMB forum. There is an interesting experiment done by an Australian customer which you can view.
              After quite a bit of researching I decided to use the product on my car but haven't gotten it out on the road yet.
              From the posts I've seen on the HAMB site I'm sure I'll be happy with it. Also it was about the least expensive product out there with comparable performance.
              Search insulation at the Hamb site and see what folks think about it.
              Good luck.

Comment

I have used a self adhesive mat from McMaster Carr (search insulation). It looks like dyna mat without the tin foil. Very inexpensive and does a great job. Put it in my 66 Ranchero and my 62 Bird.

The lizard skin can be made at home. Model airplane guys use a very tiny ceramic hollow ball to build areas of their planes that require forming. Buy it at a hobby shop, mix the stuff with latex paint and you have lizard skin. There was a "how too" in jalopy journal about it and the mixing ratios.

Bill, Many Fords and one great Stude!

Comment

Working...
                X