Motor Mount trouble for '66 Commander 6 cyl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Mount trouble for '66 Commander 6 cyl

While replacing the clutch, it was obvious that the motor mounts needed to be changed too. So, I ordered a set for a '66 6 cyl 194 CID from Stude Parts. The picture of the actual simple motor mount is shown below. But, what I received is some kind of super heavy duty replacement mount that the pro mechanics say won't fit with significant modification. I went to my buddy in Lenoir, NC that specializes in old car parts, and he had the exact same thing SP sent. All this stuff is just old GM parts - just like the tranny mount. Any ideas what's going on here and/or where I can find exact replacements? Thanks! [?]

[img][/img]

"Proud owner of a Lark powered Avanti"
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

Motor mounts in the mid sixties were mandated to be changed to an 'interlocking type' that had a metal tab hooked into a catch loop.
    This was to prevent the mount from separating 'if' the rubber should fail.
    This would prevent an engine from rocking over and possibly locking the throttle linkage opening.
    The mount pictured looks like an interlocking mount.
    Since the '65 and '66 Studebaker used GM parts, it is very likely the correct part.
    Did you call the vendor and ask for clarification?
    Do you have a parts manual? A service manual?
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by edpjr

While replacing the clutch, it was obvious that the motor mounts needed to be changed too. So, I ordered a set for a '66 6 cyl 194 CID from Stude Parts. The picture of the actual simple motor mount is shown below. But, what I received is some kind of super heavy duty replacement mount that the pro mechanics say won't fit with significant modification. I went to my buddy in Lenoir, NC that specializes in old car parts, and he had the exact same thing SP sent. All this stuff is just old GM parts - just like the tranny mount. Any ideas what's going on here and/or where I can find exact replacements? Thanks! [?]
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thank you. I do not have a repair manual. I carried your historical info/explanation back to the garage and they are going to try to make the heavy-duty replacement version mounts work.

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Motor mounts in the mid sixties were mandated to be changed to an 'interlocking type' that had a metal tab hooked into a catch loop.
      This was to prevent the mount from separating 'if' the rubber should fail.
      This would prevent an engine from rocking over and possibly locking the throttle linkage opening.
      The mount pictured looks like an interlocking mount.
      Since the '65 and '66 Studebaker used GM parts, it is very likely the correct part.
      Did you call the vendor and ask for clarification?
      Do you have a parts manual? A service manual?
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by edpjr

"Proud owner of a Lark powered Avanti"
      edp/NC
      \'63 Avanti
      \'66 Commander

Comment

I show two 66 six front motor mounts in stock. I believe these are factory original NOS and can dig them out and take some photos if your interested to see how they compare.

Dan Peterson
        Montpelier, VT
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)
        1961 Lark Crusier
        1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible
        Dan Peterson
        Montpelier, VT

Comment

Thank you. However, my mechanic was able to modify the HD mounts I got from SP to fit. I know Chevy had a devil of a time in the mid 60s with motor mounts failing. In 1973, I owned a '67 Impala with the 327/300 HP motor. It had been recalled by GM and had steel wire cables installed to reinforce the motor mounts.

quote:Originally posted by dpson

I show two 66 six front motor mounts in stock. I believe these are factory original NOS and can dig them out and take some photos if your interested to see how they compare.

Dan Peterson
          Montpelier, VT
          1961 Lark Crusier
          1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible
          edp/NC
          \'63 Avanti
          \'66 Commander

Comment

Working...
          X