Just bought a '63 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a '63 Lark

I just bought a '63 Lark 259 4 door which appears to have been stored since the late eighties. I definitely plan to redo the brakes and replace the bias ply tires. Do I need the drum pulling tool? Anything else I should do right away?

Welcome!

First 2 things:

1. Remove and clean the gas tank- DON'T try to start it with that old gas!

2. Join the SDC!!

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

1. Too late, the dealer I bought it from started it and drove it a bit. I seems to be running well on the old gas.

2. Already joined.

Comment

quote: 1. Too late, the dealer I bought it from started it and drove it a bit. I seems to be running well on the old gas.

2. Already joined.
        Congratulations on both! Well done! [^][8D]

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, Georgia
        '59 Scotsman PU
        '63 Daytona HT

Comment

Brakes first is a very wise move. I'd rather have a car that won't run than one that won't stop. Yes, you will need the proper puller to remove the rear drums. Replace the three brake hoses and examine the steel lines carefully or, better yet, just replace them.

Cylinder walls will be very dry. you may want to squirt some Marvel Mystery oil into each spark plug hole and turn the engine over by hand if it is not froze.

Examine the wiring harness for any bare or frayed wires.

I would also buy a few cans of PB Blaster and spray anything and everything that has threads, screws, bolts and nuts; also spray on hinges, latches and key cylinders.

quote:Posted - 01/14/2007 : 9:12:12 PM
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Too late, the dealer I bought it from started it and drove it a bit. I seems to be running well on the old gas.
          Okay, forget my second paragraph. How's the oil pressure?

I would drain and replace all fluids, engine, trans and rear and filters.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Another '63! Kewl

As long as you're doing the brakes, you might want to try and locate a twin-pot master cylinder if your car doesn't already have one. Slot it in at the same time you do the new lines - redundancy is a good thing!

In a pinch, the "3-legged" drum puller will work, but Chuck Collins will loan you a better one for free if you cover the shipping; check his website at https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...age=tools.html

Make sure no one has hacked up the wiring harness. Mine looked like a Radio Shack electronics breadboard when I got it! Check the harness on both sides of the bulkhead for melted leads (the horn relay wire is particularly succeptible). If you want a wiring diagram in color, check my blog. I just posted one there last week.

Good to have you aboard! Post some pix when you can!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
            '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I would recommend changing anything on the car that's rubber that has to do with running or stopping. All hoses on the engine and heater, belts, fuel hose, oil pressure hose that's at the rear of the right head and the 3 brake hoses as well.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Welcome to the 63 Lark club. You're in good company

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

Comment

What's the correct oil and air filter for a '63 259, 2 barrel?

Comment

Here's oil filter info:

* Fram PH-11
                    * Purolator L30005
                    * Wix 51049
                    * ACDelco PF24

Dunno about air filter, since mine has an aftermarket air cleaner [xx(] but I've done the oil filter research!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                    '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

The Air Filter is available from Studebaker International (PN:1552494) for $13.24 plus shipping.

Studebaker International
                      97 North 150 West
                      Greenfield, In 46140-8562
                      (317) 462-3124
                      fax: (317) 462-8891

Or you might try:

Studebaker Autoparts Sales Corp. (AKA: SASCO)
                      410 W Sample Street
                      South Bend, In 46601
                      (800) 722-4295
                      (574) 287-3381
                      fax: (574) 287-3386

These are the largest, though not nearly the only, supply houses. Welcome to the best supported and friendliest car club around!

By the by, don't drive any further with that old gas. If it's not used up, drain it and replace it. A little Chemtool would help clean out the fuel system. Just go light on the application of it. And by the way, nice car![^] Have a picture or two to share?

Lotsa Larks!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                      X