Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

66 Ignition Delco Remy breaker points not stock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66 Ignition Delco Remy breaker points not stock?

I have the up to 1964 shop manual, and 1965 supplemental from the library. Neither of them mention solid state ignition. My Daytona has Delco Remy breaker point ignition just like in the manual. Is this not stock? I have an interested buyer asking if the car is still running off of the original electronic ignition component on the fender well? The only thing on the fender well I am aware of is the voltage regulator on the drivers side (Rectangular black box), what else would he be talking about and where would it be[?]

66 Daytona all stock

The '66 drivetrain in my Lark had the conventional points type ignition system.

Comment

Nnot all 66 studes had this tran ignition,I have had 4 66 Daytonas and they all had it,some 66 Cruisers also

Ray Martin

Comment

Hi again. These units were on the inner passenger side fender apron.The connections went back to the firewall and one wire attached to an igntion resistor.They never worked very well so most were disconnected

Ray Martin

Comment

Hi again-the trans module is located above and beside the alternaator on the passenger side inner apron.The wires go back to the firewall and one is connected to a ressistor.Most of these units did not work well so were disconnected

Ray Martin

Comment

The transistorized ignition was standard on 66 Daytonas, optional on all other models 6 or 8. As far as the distributor's concerned, the only difference for the transistorized setup was the elimination of the condensor. Otherwise, the distributors were the same.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1963 Cruiser
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

As Bob K. states, your 1966 Daytona would have been built with the transistorized ignition system. Most have been removed/replaced over the years. The nicest way was to disconnect the unit, but leave it there to look stock. Every once in a while, these units come up for sale, either used or NOS.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
              X