Petition to save the S.A.S.C.O. building #92

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petition to save the S.A.S.C.O. building #92

This is for everybody who wants to see the studebaker engineering building #92 (currently/was home to sasco) saved from demolition! Many of you may allready know who I am, but others may not. My name is Chris Dresbach out of South Bend IN. and am currently running a petition drive to save Studebaker building #92 and S.A.S.C.O. The point of the petition is simple: Save this building from demolition, use it as part of ignition park, and declare it an historical landmark. Since I have started this, I have gained the support of my entire school (Mishawaka Marian High School)in gaining signatures and helping hands. My friends and I have been working all most literely 24/7 on this desperately trying to gain signatures, and have succeded in doing so, but this project still needs more signatures. I am only 15 and can only do so much my self! You can call me any time at (574)298-0430 or leave a comment below if you would like to be on the petition. I check this every night and will leave up dates as the petition progresses. Thanks! (574)298-0430 Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach
    Chris Dresbach

Sign me up

Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Commander Regal Coupe
    Fresno,Ca
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Comment

Good for you Chris! Make sure you get as many "Local" signatures as you can! That along with "interstate" and "international" names just might turn the tide for the old structure. Make sure you investigate and find the requirements for getting the building officially declared a "Historical Landmark." If you properly document your efforts...it should qualify for a good grade in some subject at school regardless of the outcome. Let us know how many signatures you have and keep us updated.

John Clary
      Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
      SDC member since 1975
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I'd be proud to have my name on that document. There was real innovation in style and performance that sprang to life in that building. At a time when this nation is trying to breathe new life into it's reputation as a technology wellspring, it seems sadly ironic that there's a rush to bury the memories of that very same thing.

In fact, the argument could be made that that old building houses ghosts of the exact sort of thing that ignition park is supposed to spark to life. And here the city wants to shoo them out!

Developers with their eyes wide at the thought of profits and city fathers bent on leaving their "mark" in city historical records - both unable to see what they hold in their hands. The blind aiding the blind.[B)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1963 Cruiser
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hey Chris,
          I would like to sign the petition also. I think that John is right about getting as many local signatures as possible. I live here in the Redwood forest of Ca.We have way to many people across the country thinking that there is only one tree left voting on things.[V] Local support is where it's at.[^]

Gordon

Comment

Hey Chris, I already called you to get on the petition, as you know. Its pretty cool to have another young guy here, and good luck with the petition, if there is anyway I can help, let me know.

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
            Dylan Wills
            Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
            1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
            1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
            1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Chris, nice going, sign me up, let me know what I need to do..Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
              canbstudebakers-
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Per my previous post, please add my name to the petition.

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar Deluxe
                Vancouver Island Chapter
                http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

Well, Chris, you can add my name to your list. I tried several times to call you and your service told me that you were'nt available.[|)] Ah well, Sign me up there, kiddo.

One thing you must keep in mind, though our support will help a bit, your struggle must be a local one. Largely, a South Bend effort. I seriously doubt the City Council of South Bend will be greatly moved by residents of Mishawaka and members of the Studebaker Driver's Club, complaining about a building being demolished. Politicians rarely listen unless their own electorate are talking (and often not even then). Regardless of what I or anyone here thinks about the Council members and Mayor of South Bend, I'm sure they're doing what they think is best for their city. Your task is to convince them that the preservation of Building 96 is in the best interests of the city of South Bend.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                  Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Hi cris put my name on the list. thay have saved alot of bilding,s over here in england that have needed at lot more repair work. then the engineering building # 92. I know the condtion of the the building i have seen it at least 5 times in the last 17 years.
                    i have seen this building this past july on my way back from Cedar Rapids to Burlington Ont Canada.
                    Good Luck. Raymond Wise, Stalybridge, Cheshire, England

rawise
                    rawise

Comment

I'm in.

Comment

Chris, put me in. Bill Pressler, Kent, OH

Hopefully you'll also be able to get a good number of South Bend and Mishawaka-area folks to sign-up.

Best of luck!

Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                        '64 Daytona Hardtop
                        Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        (formerly Greenville, PA)
                        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                        All are in Australia now

Comment

Put my name on the list. I hope you are successful in your effort to save this important old building.

Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                          Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                          Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I'd be happy for you to list me on your petition, as well. It is wonderful to see a young person such as yourself getting involved for positive change.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Put my name on it too.

Comment

Working...
                              X