Carter AFB stumbles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carter AFB stumbles.

I've heard said the AFB likes to stumble when making a hard left turn,that it is the nature of the beast.fact or fiction? thanks for any input.

Joseph R. Zeiger
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Hmmm. I've been told that my WCFB will do that, one of the reasons the car wasn't good for roundy pounding. The fuel sloshed to the right side of the carb, starving the left bank. I don't drive that way, so I've never experienced it.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    ....On the road, again....
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

The WCFB on my GT stumbles on hard left turn only, always has, there is a cure for it though. Can't remember exactly what it is.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

There is a service bulletin on that.
        I don't have it with me on the road....
        But there is a fix for that.
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 63t-cab

I've heard said the AFB likes to stumble when making a hard left turn,that it is the nature of the beast.fact or fiction? thanks for any input.

Joseph R. Zeiger
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Mine's AFB has done it for years, but now it has a fresh Dave T-Bow re-build - looks like an experiment is in order! Russ Farris
          1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
          1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Yeah Daisy likes to die on hard left turns. Email me with a fix if you guys find one

Mabel 1949 Champion
            Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
            Gus 1958 Transtar
            The Prez 1955 President State
            Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
            Daisy 1954 Commander Regal Coupe
            Fresno,Ca
            Mabel 1949 Champion
            Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
            Gus 1958 Transtar
            The Prez 1955 President State
            Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
            Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
            Fresno,Ca

Comment

It's the WCFB that does this.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1963 Cruiser
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hi Mr. Biggs - I can assure you that my AFB, on my 63 R-2 GT Hawk does it, and has since I bought it in 1988. Russ Farris
                1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

The Edelbrock copys don't seem to have the problem. At least the two I've had for years.

The WCFB's did have the problem. I fixed the one on my ol 56 Chevy with a baffle epoxyed in. Worked well.

Mike

Comment

The Edelbrock copys don't seem to have the problem. At least the two I've had for years.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the WAFB fuel passage from left to right float chamber passing over the gasket and the Edelbrock going under. Note: not the supply passage from the inlet.

Jim
                    Often in error, never in doubt

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
                    Jim
                    Often in error, never in doubt
                    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

never had or heard of this problem on afb's. are these single intel or dual inlet carbs???had 2 afb's on my 65 galaxie 428(1967 engine) but they were mounted backwards.worked great. my 56 cheevy with the 425 buick nail head had the factory set uup on it never a problem.i used an offy intake on the 65 ford. i know my parents had a dodge slant 6 that would stall every time they made a right hand turn. but would all ways start up. dangerest car to drive.it was a 74 i think. my mother could never understand that you could start the car in nutral,it was an auto trans.i think that was the worst car my parents ever owned a real dog. now stumbleing when you kick in the secondary barrels you can get a stumble but a little teacing will take care of that.use to have fuel starving problems with my 54 ford stock car in the turns or should i say coming out of the turns ran a 292 with a holley four barrel but fixed that problem with dual fuel inlets and putting them on the left side of the carb. latter ran an afb with dual inlets and modified air valve.

2006,f-150,2x4,v-6,5-speed manual,8ft bed, will post stude info when i get it on the road.

Comment

I'm not sure where I got this, but it is in my files.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                        Tom Bredehoft
                        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                        ....On the road, again....
                        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                        All Indiana built cars

Comment

Let's see if I remember this.. In the early 60's we had a car come thru our shop in Brunswick, Ga. wide open throttle.. Crashed into a station wagon parked in front of my parts counter and wipped out both cars.. The lady driving it almost died of a heart attack.. Reason, broken motor mount !!

Loudest comotion I ever heard ..

Ben

Comment

Hotrod

quote:never had or heard of this problem on afb's. are these single intel or dual inlet carbs???
                            All AFB's and clones come from the factory with single inlets.
                            Though many old and I believe all of the later copies have a boss on the opposite side where a second inlet "could" be formed.

Mike

Comment

Hi the service letter number is S-1038. I will scan it if i can. This is for a WCFB. Dusty

flamed58.com Dusty Taylor

Dusty Taylor

Comment

Working...
                              X