53-paint line molding question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53-paint line molding question

What is the difference between the "early" and "late" paint line molding for the 53 C/K models? part # 298675, this is the studebaker script moldings that go above the quarter panel-- bottom roof line
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

I don't think there is a difference, but I do know that a few 2-tone 53s came off the assembly line without that piece.

Alex Nelsen
    1954 Champion Coupe
    Lizella, GA
    Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
    Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
    Lizella, GA

Comment

Studebaker International list that part # in three different uses. Early 53--- late 53 and late 53-55
      64 Champ long bed V8
      55/53 Studebaker President S/R
      53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

I didn't know that there was a difference in those mouldings for 1953. The difference may only be in the mounting as with belt line chrome.
        Two-tone 1953 C/Ks from South Bend,IN had this trim. Vernon,CA cars had this trim on two-tones and mono-tones.
        The paint break line should be horizontal under the moulding and then go up at an angle to the nearest point of the rear window.
        I kind of doubt that two-tone '53s came without this piece. I would need to see the build order. Many 1953s were ordered mono-tone and then two-toned by the dealer, either before or after initial sale. The 1953 Commander Starliner that I knew from new and later restored, was built as a mono-tone car and two-toned by the dealer prior to initial delivery, but it did have the moulding added.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

One was gold and one was silver (cant find my book to see which was which) but I dont know when they changed. I had always assumed it was with the start of the 54 models. I have seen 53's with the later color but also assumed they had been changed sometime in their life. Steve

EDIT: John Bridges book "Studebakers Finest" (p 106) describes the 53 as being gold tinted enamel with white paint in the depression formed by the letters. I am sure it also describes the later one in the description for the 54 as I am sure I read it there earlier but cant locate it at the moment.

sigpic

Comment

I've never heard this before....

Checked my body parts book and there is only 1 p/n shown; with the VP suffix that is supposed to mean gold/paint My parts book is the '58 edition so maybe different from the earlier ones ? Book only shows it for '53 and '54. Not '55. No breakout for early/late. There WAS a changover late in the '53 run for the tri-stars going away, however. The info for that is in the chassis book instead of the body book since the hood stuff is in there (weird place and not intuitive) instead of the body book.

That said, I've never seen an apparently original one on old boneyard cars when I was hunting parts in the 90s that wasn't gold. The gold tone can fade off some though. My tri-star '53 (build late May of '53) was in completely original decayed condition (off the road in '61) and the scripts were still gold (with lots of pits). I doubt they were ever replaced.

I remember comparing a NOS one against the repoped one at Packard Farm's table in the 90s and noted the NOS was a darker shade of gold and had crisper detail features compared to the repop. At the time, the $20 or $25 compared to the $50 was a no-brainer for me so I got the repops.

I'd be curious to know more about this if there was some running change.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Working...
            X