The search is over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The search is over

A while back I asked the forum where are the best spots to find an Avanti, preferably an SBC powered one as my background is heavy in them.

Initially, thanks to Jboyle on the forum. He convinced me to continue to try to join the AOAI after several attempts had failed. Turns out that they knew a lot less about me that I thought and the issue was with my Opera browser. That's where I found this little gem.

Judy and I took a trip to Vermont and pulled it home.

Two thoughts:

You meet the nicest people when you deal with Studebaker folks. Gordon and Jean are super people and during our discussions, I thought Gordon was trying to talk me out of the car as he described every imperfection no matter how minor. When I saw the car I was amazed at the nice condition it is in. It does have a 10 foot paint job someone put on quite a while back but it's going to be a driver and I can clean it up if I want.

Secondly, I don't want to start a discussion on dolly versus trailer but I borrowed my son's 8.1 liter gas engined GMC 2500HD crew cab and rented a U-Haul trailer at $55/day. I can't imagine a better way to tow a vehicle, 1700 miles in two days (round trip) setting in leather comfort with the cruise on at 68 mph motoring down the turnpikes. Didn't vary uphill or on flat land through VT, NY, PA, OH, MI. however the roads need a lot of work all over. One of the easiest trips we've made. Of course, I am now a member of the "Friends of OPEC."

Lastly, let me thank the forum members that gave me info on specific vehicles. I must admit that I looked at Joe M's with lust for several days. It's just what I was looking for but something kept gnawing at me . It took me a while to figure it out but suddenly I realized that I was looking at a fully finished vehicle and my finger prints were not anywhere. I realized I needed to find a nice example and build my own. More on this in the future.

Lastly, I need to show the obligitory garage shot of my Studebaker'S (plural). You don't think this is getting serious do you?

Bob

Way to go Bob,
    Very nice car.
    Congrat's to you and your wife. Which one does she get to drive?
    Can't wait till I can use the plural form of the word Studebaker and actually have one that I drive.
    Dean Pearson.

Comment

Well, Bob, now it is time to join the Northeastern Michigan SDC!

Comment

You don't think this is getting serious do you? Nah. You gotta have three before its' serious. Lots of us have two.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        ....On the road, again....
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

Cool! That is a nice one, I'm looking forward to hearing about your build, have fun!

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
          Dylan Wills
          Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
          1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
          1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
          1914 Ford Model T

Comment

That IS a beauty! []

How about some shots of the engine compartment and interior.

What year? What is the drivetrain?

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Congratulations ! I'm still searching for a '66 Daytona with no luck at all

[IMG]
              Home of the Fried Green Tomato
              "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
              1964 Daytona HT
              sigpic

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

quote:Quote from Dick Steinkamp

How about some shots of the engine compartment and interior.

What year? What is the drivetrain?
                Good questions Dick, I should have added more info.

It's a 1983 with about every add on except Locking Differential. Sticker price over $32000[:0] and originally sold in Pennsylvania. Moon roof, et al.

Drivetrain is SBC 305 soon to be a built 355 SBC. I wanted a manual but as I drive it, starting to lean to a built 200R4. This thing is too nice to change much.

The previous owner has switched the brakes from original to a 12" Steeltech setup which I believe are Chrysler rotors and GM midsize calipers. Rear is still drums. This thing will stop.

The underneath is rock solid. No rust in the usual places with one repair to one hog trough. Kingpins have been redone and you can see that all the lubed items are well lubricated and maintained.

Bob

I'll post before and after pix as I progress.

Comment

The color really works on that car....maybe the best color for an Avanti.

What are you thinking about wheels and tires?

I like those wheels, but the rears look to be a little too wide (or not enough backspacing). Looks like they could get into the wheel well lip on a bump.

I'm thinkin' old skool Americans with red line tires [8D]...maybe down an inch or two in the front?

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Correct again Dick. It does have a bit of a "Boy Racer" look and the rear wheels do not have enough back spacing. I'm not sure what wheels will end up on it but it will be traditional along the line you suggested. Darn white letter tires and they are almost new.

I have always liked the silver best and got lucky with the color as I was more interested in other items.

Bob

Comment

That's one happy looking garage in that bottom picture.

Doug

Venice, Florida
                      1950 Champion 9G F1

Comment

Check with George Groten, In Savannah Ga. He has a nice driver. I saw it yesterday. I think it's for sale. Email me for more info. NT
                        quote:Originally posted by 2R5

Congratulations ! I'm still searching for a '66 Daytona with no luck at all

[IMG]

1960 Champ
                        1964 Daytona HT

Neil Thornton
                        Hazlehurst, GA
                        '57 Silver Hawk
                        '56 Sky Hawk
                        '51 2R16 dump truck
                        Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

My wheel vote is for American Racing Salt Flats in 17" with 60 profiles tires.

Here's a virtual pic:

If you want to play with different wheel/tire/paint/ride height combos Bob, here's the site:

Horsepower is always top of mind, but making your ride look amazing is just as important! At Holley we have a wide variety of Wheels and Wheel accessories for your build. We have exciting brands like Shelby, HK, Halibrand, Rev and so much more! We also have you covered with lug nuts, wheel spacers, tpms sensors and any needed accessory to complete your set up!

Congrats on the purchase!!!

Comment

WC that's slicker than dog snot. Thanks I'll visit that site often.

Bob

Comment

Ya, it's a fun site to play with []

With the poularity of C/K's and C-Cabs, I keep hoping someone will submit a few photos to the webmaster so we can play with the wheel & tires combos on those models too!!

Comment

Working...
                              X