1964 Avanti carpet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Avanti carpet

I would like to exchange photos and information with anyone who owns a 64 Avanti. I have found that my car, R-5096, has a carpet design different from any known Avantis. I showed some pieces to Kevin at Phantom Auto Works. He said that he has been cutting Avanti sets for 20 years and has not seen one like mine. I bought this car from the origional owner in Denver, Colorado. He assures me that nothing has been changed on the interior of the car. Also, the vinyl material used on the interior is a different color and texture than any known Avanti. I am trying to research this car to learn if it was a prototype or special order, or what! Please email to-- studebakerjim@gmail.com.
    1967 Riviera, 1964 Avanti R/2-R5096, 1953 Champion-R/1,4spd, Two 1967 Studebaker Gravely tractorssigpic

A good start is to get the build sheet for your Avanti from the Studebaker National Museum. That will indicate any major deviations from stock/standard and also any factory installed options.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I already ordered the build sheet--several weeks ago. They are not very fast.
      1967 Riviera, 1964 Avanti R/2-R5096, 1953 Champion-R/1,4spd, Two 1967 Studebaker Gravely tractorssigpic

Comment

Towards the end of production didn't they update some of the early prototypes and sell them as production cars? That might explain why some of the materials are different.

Nick

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 61Lark

Towards the end of production didn't they update some of the early prototypes and sell them as production cars? That might explain why some of the materials are different.

Nick
          That Avanti does not have a serial number that is anywhere near late enough to be one of those cars, or even to be considered late production. I owned a 1964 that was within 100 serial numbers of that car and everything was correct/standard for a 1964 (but different from a 1963). S/N 5096 was built in August 1963 and is an early square headlight car.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Here are a couple of photos to Illustrate what I am talking about. These were taken soon after bringing the car home. The carpet is faded and worn but notice the way the carpet is laid along the drivers seat. All of the 63's and I'm told, 64's have a vinyl insert with a cut-out area in the carpet as shown in the third Photo. Also, the carpet on the side of the console is one piece. The patterns that all the carpet makers use consist of two pieces as shown in the third photo. I am sure you can't see the detail clear enough on the seat vinyl--But there is a fine black spider web-like lines running throughout, and a fairly rough texture to the surface. Kevin, at Phantom Auto Works said that the material used in all the Avantis that he has worked on don't have those black lines and it is a smoother texture. I found one photo on Photobucket that I believe shows a 64 Avanti with one-piece carpet on the side of the console.

Comment

The interior may be Claret Red, trim code 833CLV. The dealer book has a sample which shows the coarse texture and traces of black.

Bob Langer
              Glenshaw,PA

63R-2809 R-2

R-4137 R-1

Bob Langer
              Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Bob, I have been told that it is Claret, but at least two guys said there is no black in it. Where did you get the dealer sample book?

1967 Riviera, 1964 Avanti, 1953 Champion, Two Studebaker Gravely tractors

Comment

The build sheet will show the trim code and answer your question. 833 CLV for Claret Red or 753 RDV for Metallic Red. The sample book is from the family dealership.

Bob Langer
                  Glenshaw,PA

63R-2809 R-2

R-4137 R-1

Bob Langer
                  Glenshaw,PA

Comment

The color is claret, it does have some black in it, it is a more course grain than other Avanti vynles and the carpet appears to be standard later 64 carpet; unless I'm missing something.
                    The only thing about the carpet is it appears to be 64 cut but a salt and pepper color, unless it just faded back to a grey look from the original black. Can't really tell from the pictures.

Comment

If I remember right, and it's been 45 years, the non-a/c 64 Avanti's had one-piece carpeting on the side of the console, while the a/c cars had two-piece, probably because of access or clearance issues with the a/c.

As for the vinyl insert under the front of the seats, I don't remember that being on the 64, and I have two pictures in file of 64 model interiors that don't seem to show any trim there. The carpet just appears to be well-faded black.

MikeV
                      Pompano Beach, FL
                      83 Avanti 377I

Comment

the photobucket pic.you have is of my 63 avanti.how do you get
                        pics from that site?

Comment

Stugatsr2, I believe that I just saved that photo to file. It is the most outstanding photo I could find on photobucket. I went through something like 93 pages looking for good photo of carpet.
                          Thanks to the others for the help. I will send some photos to Phantom Auto Works. I don't understand why I am getting dumb looks from others who have never seen carpet cut like that! I know that there were not a lot of 64s built--Yes the photos of my car show badly faded black carpet. Interestingly, the passenger side of the console faded also, but shows very definitely that it was origionally a piece of salt and pepper that had been stained black-- It was black under the trim. Studebaker must have used up some pieces that were already cut.
                          The supplier I bought the carpet from sent UPS to pick up the carpet he sent and I sent my old carpet to him as well. He will make up the new stuff to match my pattern.

1967 Riviera, 1964 Avanti, 1953 Champion, Two Studebaker Gravely tractors

Comment

Working...
                          X