Anyone Recognize this 1950 Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Recognize this 1950 Commander

Hi all, I'm new to the Studebaker family and I am curious if anyone recognizes this 1950 Commander Land Cruiser?
    Thanks!

Truly Nolen is a pest control company in Florida.
    He buys odd cars and paints his name big and bold on them and places them in each marketplace.....
    Jeff[8D]
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

DEEPNHOCK, thanks for the reply.

Comment

Truly is also in AZ, does the same thing there.

Comment

I guess it is not that recognizable then. I'll try to grab the serial # and maybe it might ring a bell with someone out there in Studebaker land.

Comment

Cant believe you just called a Studebaker odd, (kidding)
            They are no more odd than guys like us that love them.
            Unusual might be more suitable. I've been called both of those names and worse.
            Dean.

Comment

A Truley Nolen Bullet Nose is parked about a mile from my house as we speak.

Tim-Custom '53 Starlight aka The Studebird in Yuma, AZ
              Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
              jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

I dont recognize the car, but dang, I wish I had one!!!

Chris Dresbach
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

OK, finally got more info. Serial Number: 4443743. Engine Number:H41815I. I also found this number:17A-Y5-16919 inside the engine compartment in the top left corner of the firewall. There is a Studebaker Driver's club sticker in the window too.

Comment

The 17A shows that it is a 1950 Commander. The serial number and engine number both show that it was built in South Bend. I can't 'name' the model, but the Y5 would be the trim number. The 16919 would be the body number as it was assembled for storage before going to the assembly line.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

BobGlasscock, thanks for the reply. That's good info to have.

Comment

Y5, Land Cruiser, but you can tell that by looking at the side window vent in the rear door. That's the 124 inch wheelbase model, the longest Studebaker built after the war.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                        Tom Bredehoft
                        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                        ....On the road, again....
                        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                        All Indiana built cars

Comment

Truly Nolan used to be here in the Sacramento, CA area with classic cars also.

sals54
                          sals54

Comment

Truely Nolen, as mentioned puts these in front of each store. After a few months they sometimes get rotated. I do a lot of driving thru central Florida and have seen many of the company props. I can't remember where, but I know there is a Studebaker or two at the stores here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                            X