Parts Market Consolidation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts Market Consolidation

Has anyone noticed that with the passing of SASCO and Steven Allen and before that Studebaker's of St. Louis, Roy Hector and others that the parts market has consolidated to just a few major vendors. It will be interesting to see how it affects parts prices in the future.

Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)
    1961 Lark Crusier
    1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

If we apply the laws of economics to "Studebaker" Parts market there are a few things to remember...

1. Demand for Studebaker parts is limited to those of us who own and restore, maintain Studebaker cars, limited number of owners.
    2. Overall parts supply hasn't changed with consolidation
    3. Higher price parts is primarily determined by limited available of select parts or rare parts
    4. Reproduction of parts and X-brand swap parts limits price of NOS parts
    5. In our current economy, 10% unemployment, increasing local, state, fed taxes and fees, how many Stude projects are sitting on hold right now?

My take is Studebaker parts prices don't change much because of consolidation. And quite honestly I think Studebaker parts are a bargin compared to other rare makes or even some of the older more popular classic model Big 3 auto makes. It might be safe to say there isn't a better deal to be had price wise than buying, restoring or driving a Studebaker.

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
    sigpic
    John
    63R-2386
    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Also note that consolidation is a natural course of events for any market. Trout and Reis put forth that in any given market space, there will shake out 3 major suppliers. #1 supplier will have 3/4 of the market share; #2 will have 3/4 of the remainder, and #3 picks up the scraps.

It happens this way in almost any market you care to analyze.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
      '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I think that there are more vendors now then 20 years ago. Although some major players have closed, many newer one have come along.

Comment

To let you know how tough things are in the repo business. My brother called to get some pricing and info on replacement panels for his '62 Hawk project. He has not yet gone through the whole car so the list is in progress. Classic Enterprises has called him twice in the last week to ask when he is going to make his order. One of the guys there said business has been absolutely dead! If these guys go under that would be a huge blow for the rustoration projects out there!

Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          58 C Cab
          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I bet Lamonte's gonna make it . He has the right parts for the most popular projects. And the market watch crew are right on, too. It's nice to be so lucky as to own or restore a Stude.
            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Maybe I'll get lucky next week and win the lottery. Then the status quo will remain. Yeah, right. Then again, I'd have to buy a ticket too.[)]

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

Then again, I'd have to buy a ticket too.[)]
                "Buy? You mean them ones what I find in the sidewalk ain't no good?" [}]

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                X