New to Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Studebaker

Just bought a '51 Champion w/60K mi. on it. First off, so that I don't mess it up, I have a couple of questions. Did the car start off with non-detergent oil in it? If it did, can I just start using detergent oil? Also, what type of trans fluid should I use for the two speed automatic? Thanks for your help.

quote:Originally posted by Hambone

Just bought a '51 Champion w/60K mi. on it. First off, so that I don't mess it up, I have a couple of questions. Did the car start off with non-detergent oil in it? If it did, can I just start using detergent oil? Also, what type of trans fluid should I use for the two speed automatic? Thanks for your help.
    The car was probably shipped with non-detergent oil in it, but that was a while ago Chances are, it has been run with detergent oil in latter years. The consensus amongst the writers of the Cooperators column in the SDC magazine, Turning Wheels, is to use 15W-40 Diesel-rated oil in Stude engines. That's what I do. If I'm wrong here, I'm sure Bob Palma will set me straight.

The automatic in that Champion has 3 forward gears. I Don't know for certain if it has first gear start in "D" range, but engaging manual Low will give you the low gear, for sure. Use Dexron III/Mercon rated ATF in there, and you will be OK. Type "F" will also work, but may make the shifts a bit harsher. The DG transmissions are relatively insensitive to the type of fluid used in them. Dexron is the usual recommendation simply because it is the most readily available. Avoid buying "Type A" tranny fluid, even though that is what was originally called for. There is apparently no longer a standard for "Type A", so there is no guarantee that what you are getting is safe to use.

If you haven't already done so, I urge you to go to the home page of this site and join SDC. It's a great organization, and the monthly magazine, Turning Wheels, truly excellent, and well worth the cost of membership. And join a local chapter, too. A large part of the fun in world of Studebaker can be found in the friends you make here.

Enjoy your Champion!

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

15-40 Diesel oil, don't opt for synthetic unless your engine is freshly rebuilt. The DG200 trans is a three speed but starts in first only if shifted to the low range. If it's properly maintained, it's pretty much bullet proof. If it works well now but you don't know when it was last serviced, drain the pan and the torque converter, which does have a drain plug. Clean and replace the filter screen and refill with Dexron.

Welcome and, when can we see pictures?

Brad Johnson
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      33 Rockne 10
      51 commander Starlight
      53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process