Whats it worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats it worth?

Hey guys I posted awhile ago, trying to help my friend with his rustbucket of a car. But while trying to find parts for his car I ran across a 1963 Lark Cruiser, that seems to be in pretty good condition.

The body appears to be solid and I will be taking pictures on Thursday. The car is a champagne goldish color? greenish interior, maybe? It used to be a V8 car but the engine is gone. There are parts of 'an' engine in the trunk, but I didnt look close as to what it was or how much was there. Title included, etc. Ideally, what would something like this go for? I know you need to see pix and have more detail but are we talking $100 or $2000? I dont want to insult the guy.

Let me know as your time allows, and as always, Lord Bless each of you,
    Snell

quote:Originally posted by Helping-A-Friend
    Ideally, what would something like this go for?
    Ideally for the seller or ideally for the buyer?

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'm looking to buy the car to help my friend. But I really have no idea what they are worth. AS I have admitted before I am a Mustang guy, I know them like the back of my hand.

Any input would be appreciated, with pix to follow Thursday evening.

Snell

Comment

Late last year I bought a 1965 Commander with out the Motor the auto Trans is still in it for $200.00 Excellent interior new wind shield flanged posi rear-end lots of good parts under side is totaly shot frame in bad shape too.

[IMG]Shane Kennewick,WA

Comment

The '63 Cruiser, with its 289, was a marvelous vehicle but, without its engine, I probably wouldn't offer more than five or six hundred. If someone had a 289 and needed a car to put it in the Cruiser is a good choice.
          Even the time and effort to part it out wouldn't bring sufficient return to make a higher offer.
          Still, wouldn't like to see it lost.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

8 months ago I got a Cruiser similar to that with a full drive train for free! Anything close to that would be best. Don't offer any more than Rockne10 suggests, for sure. $300 is about right to try on him. Hey, there's not an engine in there, that's not an insult. You will need the extra cash to prepare for an engine budget. Without seeing it and testing everything for workability it's pretty hard to tell. Can't wait to see the pics. Good luck.

Comment

Once again forgive my ignorance, but was the 289 a Ford? I have about 15 of those. Don't laugh if its not, cuz American Motors used a bunch of Ford Internals back in the day...

I hate to admit that but its true... hehe

Snell

Comment

Once again forgive my ignorance, but was the 289 a Ford? I have about 15 of those. Don't laugh if its not, cuz American Motors used a bunch of Ford Internals back in the day...

Snell
                Up to 1964, Studebaker used their own V8 power plants - 232, 224, 259, 289 and 304 were all Stude built. If you saw a Stude 289 next to a Ford 289, you would readily see the difference!

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar Deluxe
                Vancouver Island Chapter
                http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

Snell
                  Up to 1964, Studebaker used their own V8 power plants - 232, 224, 259, 289 and 304 were all Stude built. If you saw a Stude 289 next to a Ford 289, you would readily see the difference!

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar Deluxe
                  Vancouver Island Chapter
                  http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

I have worked on cars for years, never saw a Ford motor in an AMC why would they. They had their own perfectly good V8 and 6cyl motors. I continually amazed at why people think Ford or GM made everything.I had a Rambler before my Studebaker and the parts store "kids" always insisted it was a Dodge

1957 Golden Hawk
                  "Studebaker? they dont make them anymore"
                  sigpic1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Take no offense Helping-A-Friend.......I laugh on the other side of the monitor because about 2 months ago we all here on the forum talked about the Ford 289 subject, as well as some other Car show Wisdom experience's that Studebaker owners experience at Cruises, Events and random parking lot encounters. Anyway I have fun reading threads with that type of subject matter, and your post made me laugh. (New Corvette Guy seems to provoke resonse too.)

Your right about the condition of the Lark, pictures will show us a lot more, and help determine a price for you, Floor boards, fenders, and trunk area, and rear wheel wells are the typical places to look.

Welcome aboard, good luck, and maybe we'll all tell some stories.

ChopStu

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Unless the body and interior of that Cruiser is in truly exceptional condition, it's probably worth only a few hundred dollars.

You didn't say if the transmission is present, not that it matters much. Most anybody who has an engine to sell you will also have a transmission.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Except to a Studebaker guy who needs parts, the car is worth whatever scrap brings in your area. Anything above that is based on want and not need.

1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas
                        "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                        "In the heart of Arkansas."
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Last October, I bought my 63 Cruiser for $425. When I got it home, I was able to start it and drive it into the back yard. Super-solid car that was all there. Heh - I've now got ten times that amount invested in it!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1963 Cruiser
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The Studebaker 289 looks like a big block next to the Ford 289; wider cylinder angle and distributor in the rear; easy to tell the difference once you've seen it.
                            Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

The Studebaker 289 looks like a big block next to the Ford 289; wider cylinder angle and distributor in the rear; easy to tell the difference once you've seen it.
                              It's easy to tell the difference, but the have the SAME cylinder angle...90 degrees.

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X