R1 fuel pump issues, 64 hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R1 fuel pump issues, 64 hawk

Do I need to remove the power steering pump to replace the fuel pump?
    I am going to get to go to only one meet this year,this friday and sat...I went to start the car to get it outside to clean it and no start....some checking and no fuel. starts fine with a cup of gas. fuel pump is gone. It seems to be under the power steering pump and all its parts....so. does this come out first or can it be done with out removeing all that?
    I have done fuel pumps on studes before just never one with this little room.
    I did look from under and there seems to be room...but....???

I have all summer off. School starts tuesday....and now it is monday night...this is gonna be a few late nights with my schedule...can't even think of spinning wrenches untill 8pm,,,up with the kids at 6am...to start them this week too...the things we do to play with cars.Rich

64 GT R1 4sp Hawk(pkg)
    Mohawk Trails Chapter SDC
    64 GT R1 4sp Hawk

I changed the fuel pump once on my GT Hawk without removing the power steering pump but after that one time I have always removed the pump. It was just too difficult. Removing the P/S pump only takes a few minutes and makes changing the fuel pump so much quicker. Remove the bolts that hold the P/S pump on and leave the hoses hooked up and lay the whole assy off to the side. Whole fuel pump changing job takes maybe 30 minutes.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Yes you remove the P/S Pump, but just leave the lines on it and set it aside tied to the Batt. box with a wire and a towel between it and the inner fender. [^]

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

I changed the fuel pump once on my GT Hawk without removing the power steering pump but after that one time I have always removed the pump. It was just too difficult. Removing the P/S pump only takes a few minutes and makes changing the fuel pump so much quicker. Remove the bolts that hold the P/S pump on and leave the hoses hooked up and lay the whole assy off to the side. Whole fuel pump changing job takes maybe 30 minutes.

After doing it a few dozen times with the pump in place, I know it can be done, but it's a learned art.

JDP/Maryland
        JDP Maryland

Comment

well I got it done. started up and all was well...until....I saw the alternator bouncing around!!! the bracket that holds it to the manifold snapped...when I know not but I know I need one.now.

64 GT R1 4sp Hawk(pkg)
          64 GT R1 4sp Hawk

Comment

Working...
          X