Transmission Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Conversion

Just completed the installation of a 700R4 tranny into my 64 Daytona R1 Sedan. Should've done it long ago, 2200 rpm @ 75 mph is awesome. The question I have is how rough judges are on this kind of modification. The only other incorrect stuff on the car are the exhaust system and the modern AC Compressor. I driving to a zone meet in a couple of weeks and am wondering should I register in original class or into the modified class? [img]http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii408/ajarman_album_bucket/1-29-2009-17-1.jpg[/Iimg]ss?

Here's the car.

Comment

Nice modified!

Really, nice car, but as I understand it if a car doesn't have an original engine and drivetrain than it's considered a modified.

Actually from the pictures nice car doesn't do it justice, it looks like it's a beautiful car!

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
      http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Beautiful! []

I'LL give it 400 points in EITHER class! [^]

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ajarman

Just completed the installation of a 700R4 tranny into my 64 Daytona R1 Sedan. Should've done it long ago, 2200 rpm @ 75 mph is awesome. The question I have is how rough judges are on this kind of modification. The only other incorrect stuff on the car are the exhaust system and the modern AC Compressor. I driving to a zone meet in a couple of weeks and am wondering should I register in original class or into the modified class? [img]http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii408/ajarman_album_bucket/1-29-2009-17-1.jpg[/Iimg]ss?
          For a Zone meet put in original class and let the judges figure out if something is different, my guess is you will do OK. Here in OK at our meets we aren't too picky and tend to hand out a lot of trophies. Just go and have fun and don't let the judging part of it get you down.

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
          sigpic
          John
          63R-2386
          Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JeffDeWitt

Nice modified!

Really, nice car, but as I understand it if a car doesn't have an original engine and drivetrain than it's considered a modified.

That changed some time ago. Now...

Division 8: Non-Stock, Studebaker Powered

* All Vehicles and Trucks (Custom/Modified), All years

Division 9: Non-Stock, Non-Studebaker Powered

* All Vehicles and Trucks (Custom/Modified), All years

So...he could enter Division 8 (non stock, Studebaker powered), or Division 3 (Lark types).

Probably SHOULD enter division 8 to keep with the spirit of the class, but the competition will probably be tougher (depending on the size of the zone meet).

OTOH, there is nothing on the stock judging form where you could deduct for wrong transmission...

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Glad to that about Ok, the meet is outside of Dallas, Thx.

Comment

Shows what I know!

I figured that if (when) I show my truck it's going to have to be in modifieds... sounds like class 8. It's got (will have) a Stude engine and drive train but with aftermarket wheels, modern brakes and of course it's got a 1957 vintage 289 instead of a 60 vintage flathead six.

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
                http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Jeff, they'll most likely nick you for the wheels and the engine size as it's now different from the body tag in the stock division. They will have to crawl under it to catch the brakes. That usually isn't done, but not always. In Cedar Rapids our division 8 was parked in the dusty/dirt lot and they crawled under it to inspect the frame for cleanliness, etc. Odd. I had the frame pretty clean the night before until they parked us there.
                  In division 8 the paint, body work and attention to detail and cleanliness has to be exceptional. Any orange peel as the factory may have painted it will lose points in division 8 and 9. It has to be better than stock. Division 3 is tough for little stock changes, but somewhat forgiving in others. You have the opportunity to prove deductions for authenticity on the spot as the judges must explain those deductions. Not so in division 8 or 9. All the rules and guidelines are in the SDC judging manual. Good idea to read and get familiar with that.

ajarman, you won't likely lose points for the transmission. Maybe for the exhaust, maybe not. Mike Myer lost points for his exhaust pipes being too clean and shiny. The judges said they were incorrect chrome tips they were so clean and polished. He explained they were just polished clean and nice and they still deducted for them not being "as stock."

Your car is beautiful and you will still be in a first place category in either division. Don't sweat it. Tell us how tough or easy the 700R4 was to get in and shifting right with the linkage. I've heard good things even if it's a pain and expensive.

Comment

Aloha Anthony-

Got your text about the tranny swap -I bet she just purrs along at speed now

Hey maybe they'll give you make-up points is you put the letter on display with the car!!!

Have you thought about taking the car to the PSMD's????

Comment

Very nice looking Daytona! [] Is that a column shifter I see in there? It would be pretty rare to have a H.D. Flight-O-Matic in a '64 R1 car! Was it a special order, or not originally an R1?

StudeRich
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes StudeRich, that car came from the factory with the HD FOM w/column shift.

I owned the car for a short amount of time and it was a true survivor []

Purchased from the original owners family, the car was all original showing 44K miles.

The lady who owned it had purchased it new in Red Bluff, Ca and used drive it to deliver mail on her rural postal route.

It was her baby, and eventually she decided to make it a "special occasion" car. Her son told me she used to love spanking people off the lights in her 4-door!!!

It is a very special car, and Anthony has done a fantastic job sorting her out.

I feared had I not "rescued" the car, that it might have end up in the hands of some teenager as a High School ride (it was in a very small rural town and needed some work).

Something like less than 12 or 13 1964 4-door R1 Daytonas were built.

And you can't beat the red on red [8D]

Here's a link to pics of the car before I sold it to Anthony:

Comment

Who ever told you it was a hard and expensive swap was not lying. First had to find an 87 or 88 tranny for the speedo cable. Then had to squeeze that big sucker in, ended up moving the motor forward to next hole in frame, fan about 1/4" from radiator. Reamiming out holes was a real *****, moving motor left to right with come alongs. New hoses to radiator. Cut old crossmember to open up, and keep it because of the body supports. Put a new one to the rear of tranny. Had to reroute the exhaust. New longer driveshaft. Linkage was easy, but standard modern car pattern. Still got some stuff to work out though, it'll start in reverse (formally neutral) and if I drop it in low the backup lights come on (should be fun messing with tailgaters). Still gotta gear it to get speed correct, using a gps til I get around to it.

I do like cruising with the car and r4, gas milage looks excellent and it'll still smoke the tires in first through second and snap your head in third. Fun car.

I still have the tranny for it even had it rebuilt last year if anyone is interested.

Comment

Oh yeah, had to get adapter , flex plate, speedometer cable and starter. Phil Harris has the stuff so does Mike Mayer. Ain't cheap. Got mine from Phil, would I do it again, absolutely.

Comment

Anthony, thanks for the 700R4 installation update. Email sent. I really had considered that swap since I'm reinstalling the Lark's original engine anyway this fall, but I really don't want to get into that much of a change from stock now that I hear what it takes. I knew about the cross member change, but didn't know it involved cutting up the frame for the fit. Not sure if that would be better or worse in a 1960 body. Probably worse.
                              I'm sure your car screams! Perfect for that car. It looks awesome. Congrats on a job well done.[^][^]

Comment

Working...
                              X