engine size of my 55 studebaker sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine size of my 55 studebaker sedan

can anyone help me with the size of my engine? it is a V8 Engine but i don't know weather it is a 259 or a 289. how can i find this out for i don't know a whole lot about engines.

Could be a 224 as well... Post the serial number.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island Chapter
    http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

Unlikely to be a 289, not yet available in 1955. The 289 came along in 1956.Thats not to say someone couldn't have changed engines.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by zas55

can anyone help me with the size of my engine? it is a V8 Engine but i don't know weather it is a 259 or a 289. how can i find this out for i don't know a whole lot about engines.
        my engine serial number i believe is p167l2

Comment

That's probably your original engine..a 259. Listed as from a 1955 President 6H. The 289s started at P22001.

Comment

Thanks Everyone for your Help!

Comment

Is your sedan a President? If so, in '55 the "P" prefix was for the 259 engines in President series cars. The later 55 Commander series cars had a "V" prefix, but the engine was the same 259 that was used in President series cars. '55 was a goofy year with respect to how Studebaker classified different models and engines.
              From '56-on, a "P" would indicate a 289.[}]

6H cars were Presidents, but 16G6 was a Champion while 16G8 was a Commander. Very strange, given how classifications had gone before OR after 1955.[B)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1963 Cruiser
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

All heck must have broken out in '55...I was born 4 months into '56. Apparently zero genetic laws that year.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Is your sedan a President? If so, in '55 the "P" prefix was for the 259 engines in President series cars. The later 55 Commander series cars had a "V" prefix, but the engine was the same 259 that was used in President series cars. '55 was a goofy year with respect to how Studebaker classified different models and engines.
                  From '56-on, a "P" would indicate a 289.[}]

6H cars were Presidents, but 16G6 was a Champion while 16G8 was a Commander. Very strange, given how classifications had gone before OR after 1955.[B)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1963 Cruiser
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

yes my car is a 1955 President Sedan

Comment

If you would order the build sheet from the Museum for your car it would give the engine number and you would know if yours is the original engine. I think cost is still $40

Jim Caldwell
                    "The view don't change if you ain't the lead dog"

Comment

Its a 289!! Thanks a lot everyone!!

Comment

It is a 289 and actually its all original.

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
                        Unlikely to be a 289, not yet available in 1955. The 289 came along in 1956.Thats not to say someone couldn't have changed engines.

Comment

Originally posted by zas55 View Post
                          It is a 289 and actually its all original.
                          If so, its a engineering prototype or some such <g>. In 55, it couldn't be both original and a 289. Its a 259. As a President 259, a bit higher output than say a 'base and regular' Commander 259
                          Antique Cars Classics Customs Hotrods Leadsleds Roadsters Streetrods Trucks Turbine Car 40 31 Ford 67 Studebaker Charger 61 Chrysler Images Specs Pictures Photos Photographs Gifs Jpgs Events Schedule Vendors Forum

P-101
                          1955 President 6H
                          P-22,001
                          1956 President/Pinehurst/Sky Hawk 56H

Since its P16712, that is right in the range of a President V8 for 1955, (so not a 224 V8, and not a 289). The above numbers are the starting # for each year. Those capital I are actually a 1 (one)--Its a Studebaker thing.

cheers!

Comment

Jim,

I see I have made a big BIG mistake!! It turns out that it is a 259, like you said. I had my facts mixed up again. All of this time I thought it had a 289 motor. It is all original I do know that though so, it has to be a 259.

Thanks a lot for straitening this up for me.

Zach

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
                            If so, its a engineering prototype or some such <g>. In 55, it couldn't be both original and a 289. Its a 259. As a President 259, a bit higher output than say a 'base and regular' Commander 259
                            Antique Cars Classics Customs Hotrods Leadsleds Roadsters Streetrods Trucks Turbine Car 40 31 Ford 67 Studebaker Charger 61 Chrysler Images Specs Pictures Photos Photographs Gifs Jpgs Events Schedule Vendors Forum

P-101
                            1955 President 6H
                            P-22,001
                            1956 President/Pinehurst/Sky Hawk 56H

Since its P16712, that is right in the range of a President V8 for 1955, (so not a 224 V8, and not a 289). The above numbers are the starting # for each year. Those capital I are actually a 1 (one)--Its a Studebaker thing.

cheers!

Comment

and it should be a 4 bbl with dual exhausts. Your engine was called a "Passmaster".
                              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
                              X