PDA

View Full Version : Sales Tax - North Carolina

bondobilly
09-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Does North Carolina charge sales tax on used cars?

I just bought a car from down there and I cannot figure out the NY State DMV laws on registering a car purcased from out of state.

Thanks much
Bill

studegary
09-06-2009, 03:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by bondobilly

Does North Carolina charge sales tax on used cars?

I just bought a car from down there and I cannot figure out the NY State DMV laws on registering a car purcased from out of state.

Thanks much
Bill

With a NY residence, you do not pay any sales tax in NC. You pay your appropriate NY (Westchester County) sales tax when you go to title/register the car in NY.
What did you buy? You can answer off Forum if you don't want to publicize it.
I have purchased many vehicles from out of state, both collector and "regular", including from NC.
Just bring the NC title signed over to you and Bill of Sale to the NY DMV.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

bondobilly
09-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Thanks

Hopefully it will arrive here this week, and now all the DMV confusion is over.

Last night at cruise nigt guys were up in arms. Down here we are being hit with a $50 surcharge for Historical plates, and another $28.35 for something else and another fee, all thanks to our Governor to suppliment the Metro North rail system and fix some bridges and roads. I think I got it right as numbers were flying around like knats.

BG

barnlark
09-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Bought many a car from the Charlotte area, Bill. Just get the title signed and off you go. All the wonderful fees will be lovingly applied when you get back up here. :(

studegary
09-07-2009, 02:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by bondobilly

Thanks

Hopefully it will arrive here this week, and now all the DMV confusion is over.

Last night at cruise nigt guys were up in arms. Down here we are being hit with a $50 surcharge for Historical plates, and another $28.35 for something else and another fee, all thanks to our Governor to suppliment the Metro North rail system and fix some bridges and roads. I think I got it right as numbers were flying around like knats.

BG

As I mentioned in another thread/post, NY fees have gone up, as of Sept. 1, for registration and license. Starting next year, we will also have to buy replacement license plates, even though mine look like new.
I am also in the MTA area and socked with those additional fees. Probably less than one per cent of the population of Dutchess County uses the MTA. One of the advantages of living up where BAMS50/Bob A. lives is that they do not have these MTA fees. This is another case of NYC residents socking it to those of us north of the city. Most NYC people do not own cars. We that need cars have to subsidize their cheap commuter transportation.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer