PDA

View Full Version : My grandson's first Stude 11 years ago



candbstudebakers
09-06-2009, 11:33 AM
MY grandson has always like my old cars and I guess if I had been into Fords or Chevy's he would be liking them, but I was into Studebakers so he like them the best, it all started when he could first walk and go outside to my large garage he would have my wife take him out at all times of the day and just sit in different ones and play like he was driving them different places and then later when I came in he would tell me all the places they went and what car they used for this trip. sometimes they would need to take things to eat while they were at it, but they did a lot of driving back then, this picture is when he was 3 and he had to be in a hawk for the picture, as most of you know him from a lot of different national meets and zone meets, he is now in high school and waiting for the day he can drive a Studebaker to school.
Friday when I picked him up in Sacramento for our 2 hour ride to the bay area we were talking about Studebakers and other car in general and he told me that one day after school he was walking home and as he went by the circle in front of the school there was a group of seniors all standing and sitting around their different cars there was a few Mustangs, Comero's and even a restored GTX, he went and looked over the GTX, while doing this the owner came over and asked if he liked it? Clayton said only if it has a 440 in it or maybe a Hemi, this senior was so taken by a 9th grader walking right up and asking questions about cars to seniors, then Clayton told him he had a few himself and 2 were supercharged, the fellow said tell me more so Clayton began to tell him about Studebakers and some history, the next day Clayton took in some pictures of the 64 Super Hawk R-2 and the supercharged 53 custom along with the 67 Avanti all really nice cars, the seniors were very impressed with him and the cars and want to start a car club at the school and want him to be part of it ( how cool is that for a 9th grader?) the one with the GTX gave him a ride in it and asked what he thought? Clayton said do you think it can do 140 MPH? kid said he didn't think so that's when Clayton told him about Avantis doing it on the Salt track. guess he is in it for the long run 2 more years and he will be driving his own car to school wonder what one it will be?? The kid loves them Studes.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/IM001694.jpg

that's a 289 duel exhaust and a 4 bld carb rated at 225 hp in his own words bent there done that lets make it go faster.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/IM001580.jpg

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
canbstudebakers-

]http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/IM001154.jpg

silverhawk
09-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Very cool! Way to go Clayton! Hope to see you at a meet someday.

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon

s2dwagon
09-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Bob,

I remember a story you were telling Billy and I while we were down picking up the 53 coup last January, and I have never forgot that story.

Story goes; Clayton was giving a speech in school and Studebaker's was his topic. He wanted you to arrive at the school at just the right time so he could use the Avanti as a visual aid, while the students in the class could see the car, as well.

Thought that was really cool for a youngster to be that resourceful. He'll do well in life, and he is a good kid!

Scott

barnlark
09-06-2009, 12:53 PM
That kid's going to cost you valuable future Studebaker money, that's what I think! :D He was grinning so big on that drive back from the Iowa drags that I could see him spending it in his head in a million ways already, that it was spinning. [8D][8D][8D]
That boy does love 'em all! You keep showing proud, yet cutesie, baby pictures and he may get you back some day, though. :D That kinda stuff can end up on 40 high school computer class screen savers! Where's Bob's embarrassing pictures, Clayton?

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN2488-1.jpg

cool 1953
09-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Oh dont worry i will find some good pictures with a story to put up with bob.ha ha..clayton

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

That kid's going to cost you valuable future Studebaker money, that's what I think! :D He was grinning so big on that drive back from the Iowa drags that I could see him spending it in his head in a million ways already, that it was spinning. [8D][8D][8D]
That boy does love 'em all! You keep showing proud, yet cutesie, baby pictures and he may get you back some day, though. :D That kinda stuff can end up on 40 high school computer class screen savers! Where's Bob's embarrassing pictures, Clayton?

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN2488-1.jpg



clayton-rip chicken hawk!
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/IM001174.jpg

barnlark
09-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Can't wait. How about surfing pics? ;)

cool 1953
09-06-2009, 08:28 PM
HA That would be the best, i will have to work on that.:)


clayton-rip chicken hawk!
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/IM001174.jpg

barnlark
09-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Rent the movie, Beach Blanket Bingo. Ask him, I think he was in that. :D

jgrohs
09-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Clayton has definitely had the right upbringing to carry on the Stude passion. It's always cool to see him and Bob at various events. When he gets his license, his H.S.will get a good long lesson in Studebakers ( plural).

1951 Rod
1962 Champ
1963 Avanti R1
1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
1964 Daytona Convertible
2006 Avanti Convertible

cool 1953
09-07-2009, 11:24 PM
I think so, life would sure be different with out Studebakers and the studebaker club.glad i am appart of it...clayton
quote:Originally posted by jgrohs

Clayton has definitely had the right upbringing to carry on the Stude passion. It's always cool to see him and Bob at various events. When he gets his license, his H.S.will get a good long lesson in Studebakers ( plural).

1951 Rod
1962 Champ
1963 Avanti R1
1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
1964 Daytona Convertible
2006 Avanti Convertible


clayton-rip chicken hawk!
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/IM001174.jpg

Studerick64
09-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Bob,
You have a wonderful grandson Clayton!
We enjoyed having him at the CA State Fair with the Studes!
Thanks for coming out!

I bet he can't wait to start driving!

StudeRick &
Johna, 64GTGAL
Sacramento CA
http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww331/lady442/studebaker1964002-1.jpg
1964 GT Hawk
1957 Silver Hawk
1964 Avanti

candbstudebakers
09-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Johna, he drives anything I leave at his house over night, even drove the 52 commander with 3 speed on the column, not to say the 67 Avanti on the salt track in 07, ya he will be up and moving...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
canbstudebakers-

]http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/IM001154.jpg

cool 1953
09-10-2009, 11:35 PM
And the 64 hawk an the 63 Avanti...clayton

quote:Originally posted by candbstudebakers

Johna, he drives anything I leave at his house over night, even drove the 52 commander with 3 speed on the column, not to say the 67 Avanti on the salt track in 07, ya he will be up and moving...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
canbstudebakers-

]http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/IM001154.jpg


clayton-rip chicken hawk!
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/IM001174.jpg