Brake Contact Plug Filing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Contact Plug Filing

Good afternoon, all. I recently got my 51 Champion 4-door and am learning a lot about the differences between it and the only previous Stude I owned, a 62 Lark Deluxe.

I'm picking my way through the brakes, which adjust using eccentrics rather than a star wheel. I finally figured out what a contact plug is and am ready to open it up and examine what the previous owner did to troubleshoot why the brakes pull hard to the left (he installed new shoes and hoses, and said it just needs adjusting).

My question is, what is the standard for filing the contact plug? The shop manual is a bit vague on whether to file it to the surface of the lining or to where the lining meets the metal of the shoe.

Regards,
    Clarence

File the new plug to exactly smooth across the outer surface of the new lining. The function of the plug won't work properly unless it extends to match the thickness of the lining.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

My manual says,"ALWAYS USE A NEW CONTACT PLUG."

"After reassembly of the self-adjusting device, the contact plug must be filed so that it conforms to the contour of the lining. Completely retract the adjusting wedge. Clamp the shoe in a vise so that the jaws of the vise are directly beneath the bearing against the adjusting lever to prevent movement of the contact plug. To prevent damaging the lining while filing the plug, use the thickness gage which is included in the lining kits."

After filing the plug, set the end of the plug level with below the lining surface."

That last sentence seems a little vague.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The surface of the plug should be exactly even with the surface of the lining, or NO MORE than one adjusting click below the surface. "Level with below the lining surface" refers to this tiny amount of recess, or below the surface lining. This placement is necessary so that the adjusting mechanism 'sets' properly to the new linings.

Note in my first post I stated 'new plug' and 'new lining', you don't replace one without replacing the other.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Clarence,
          You probably already know this, but the 54-66 brakes are a bolt on to your '51. MUCH better brakes than 53 and older.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks, Dick. I'll open them up (if I can find a puller) and rework them once if it's not a lot to be done, then I plan to replace them with either the 54-66 11-inch drums or Turner discs. It's about the same price for each.
            Bob, thanks for the help on the contact plug- that last sentence in the manual was unclear to me.

Regards,
            Clarence

Comment

When I got my 52 years ago,the PO had just stuck the new shoes on the car and shoved the plugs all the way in so the shoes would go on. After the linings wore a little the plugs, which were now too long, had no place to go and caused the brakes to squeal and pull to one side. After reading the shop manual, I pushed the plugs all the way out and filed them flush with the surface of the lining. The brakes worked fine from then on.
              I will add that fine for a Champion brake is not that great. When I redo the car it will get later V-8 brakes.

1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas
              "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thanks, 52Fan. Someone changed the front brakes to 10-inch smooth drums, with shoes, springs and adjusters that look like a 62 Lark style configuration. Any idea what year these came from, so I can order shoes, wheel cylinders, and springs?

Regards,
                Clarence

Comment

Working...
                X