Gas cap rubber seal hard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas cap rubber seal hard

How do I get the rubber seal soft enough so that the gas cap can be pushed on far enough for the spring latchs to catch[?] Petroleum products Laquer thinner?

I learned the hard way that a Quart of oil in the tranny destroys the seals big time. When I purchased Synthetic ATF to service my Mercedes 4Matic wagon 2 quarts of oil was mixed in with the ATF at Miers. There were only a few words different on the main label $3700.oo mistake! When I rechecked the ATF level it had dropped almost a quart? When I grabbed another quart off the shelf in the Garage I noticed it was oil, so I dug through the trash and sure enough one quart of oil had been added. I drained all the fluid and put new ATF in but it was too late. She wasn't drivable within a week.

66 Daytona all stock

The gasket in that Stant replacement, locking, press-on type gas cap is NOT replaceable!

Throw that thing away and get a new one, the Stant non-locking, non-vented correct Cap is still available while they last, as the Co. filed for bankruptcy, and who knows about availability in the new Corporation-less U.S.A.! [:0]

It is a lot less money than the locking one. If someone wants your gas, they will just pry it off anyway and ruin the filler neck!

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Can anyone point me to a picture where I can see what an original gas cap for a 66 Daytona looks like? This one seems to look pretty good with the trim on the rear of the car.

66 Daytona all stock

Comment

We could do that, but I sure don't know where you could find a chrome gas cap like it anywhere!

It was FLAT with the straight bar across to turn it, I think the handle was Chrome and the Cap Stainless, all shiny to match the Daytona and Cruiser trim strip, but not used on a Stude. Commander.

StudeRich
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

When I looked for a stant listing they only show thermstat,... listings no fuel cap. What do I need to look up a different model Stud?

66 Daytona all stock

Comment

Ask and you shall receive, my brother.Pictures of the chrome and locking gas caps are on page 11 of Turning Wheels October 1986, locking gas cap AC-3195 and chrome gas cap(standard on Cruiser and Daytona)#1558712.If it's a Stant locking cap that you want, the part number is 11483 (carded)or 10483 (boxed).Advance Auto Parts SKU number is 15480001.I paid $14.98 for mine. They didn't have it in stock, but they had it for me the next day.[BTW if anyone is interested I have a locking gas cap from my Daytona that works but it "wiggles"(it has been on my car for the last 10 years).Cap and 4 keys FREE but you must pay postage.]Hope this is of some help.

Comment

Working...
            X