Classic Ent. side mount spare well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic Ent. side mount spare well

Has anyone here bought and installed the side mount spare tire well kit for a pickup? I'd love a side mount spare on the Orange truck, and this looks like it may be the way to go. So has anyone here done this that can give me their opinion of it?

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Matthew,

I don't know about the spare wells but their M5 cab corners and inner pieces fit perfectly and were very well done. I wouldn't hesitate to buy body parts from them again.

Jeff Jones
    Tucson Arizona
    1947 M-5

Comment

Matt, I personally like the looks of the side mount spare. For everything there seems to be a "down side."...Think about it...With a side mount spare, it will need to be kept as neat and clean as the tires on the ground. You will have to work to keep the areas around it clean. Any time you remove it, you run the risk of damaging your paint on the truck bed and fender. I am sure there are other things to consider, but these are the ones that come to mind.

John Clary
      Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
      SDC member since 1975
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

A question...probably a stupid one...

How do you cut out the area of the R.rear fender?
        Do they supply a template?

63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

John, the spare in my truck mounts in the front of the bed. I am planning to install a bed cover at some point, so I'll have to remount the tire somewhere else anyways. And the cool factor makes up for all of the points you mention.

I hope they supply a template. It's too late to call them right now, that's why I was hoping someone who has done this would chime in. I can't see how you'd cut the fender without a template.

Matthew Burnette
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Matthew, I haven't tried the one you mentioned from Classic Enterprises, but I agree this is the way to go, i.e., rear fender side mount on the box.

Looks cool, and also saves space and cleans up the look of your bed, plus making room for a toolbox in the bed.

I once looked at an early Stude Champ (with old style bed and fenders) that had side mounts, two spares, one on both sides of the bed. The story I got was that these were special order Champs by the Texas State Highway Maintenance Dept.

I guess covering the Texas geography called for more self-sufficiency than one spare would provide.

Glad to see you are working on the Orange Crate again.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
            53 Starliner Hardtop
            Newton Grove, NC

Comment

I hope this is not a hijack, but I have a curiosity question RE the side mounted spare....

My dad has a '55 ford 3/4 ton. Had it since '68 and it was the main pickup on the farm when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s. It has the cutout on the rear fender for the spare. The bracket for hanging the wheel is long gone and I've only seen one on other trucks. We kept the spare in the shed unless going more than a few miles out of town (too far to walk home...) The story is that the weight of the wheel there broke the bracket and it got removed and tossed long ago. The side of the bed where it would go has lots of old cracks that were welded up and bondo'd over when the truck was "restored" in about '69 and again in '85.

I know GM also had those side mounted spares on their pickups in the 40s and 50s.

Were problems with stress cracks and so on from the wheel weight and vibration a problem on other makes including Studebaker or was my dad's ford unique? I should also mention his truck also has the optional 17" split rims so those may be heavier than the normal 16" ones I have seen on other fords of similar vintage. Having tried to pick up and move one of those rims with a tire on it I can attest to its great weight!

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Matthew,

Is there a specific reason why you would oppose mounting it under the rear of the bed? It's out of the way, you don't have to keep it clean and shiney, there's no chance of scratching a fender or bed if you did in fact have to use it. If you don't have the hanger and related hardware, I'm sure pieces from other trucks could easily made to fit. Most of the time, with good tires on the ground, the spare rarely ever gets used. Just a thought. Happy labor day to you and yours.

Dan Miller
                Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

The weight of the wheel and tire you describe may well have been a problem. The first Studebaker pickup that my brother rebuilt had a fender mounted spare and showed no signs of cracks or other problems. It is possible that the Studebaker mount or bed was stronger than the Ford design.
                  I have seen where people filled the fender mount, but I always liked the look and my brother's spare had a cover that set it off nicely.

Obviously these pictures where taken at two different times. The one with the white spoke wheels is around the time that he won a first place at the Orlando international meet.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
                  "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ROADRACELARK

Matthew,

Is there a specific reason why you would oppose mounting it under the rear of the bed? It's out of the way, you don't have to keep it clean and shiney, there's no chance of scratching a fender or bed if you did in fact have to use it. If you don't have the hanger and related hardware, I'm sure pieces from other trucks could easily made to fit. Most of the time, with good tires on the ground, the spare rarely ever gets used. Just a thought. Happy labor day to you and yours.

Cause it just looks so dang cool, Dan. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
                    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jeff_H

I hope this is not a hijack, but I have a curiosity question RE the side mounted spare....

My dad has a '55 ford 3/4 ton. Had it since '68 and it was the main pickup on the farm when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s. It has the cutout on the rear fender for the spare. The bracket for hanging the wheel is long gone and I've only seen one on other trucks. We kept the spare in the shed unless going more than a few miles out of town (too far to walk home...) The story is that the weight of the wheel there broke the bracket and it got removed and tossed long ago. The side of the bed where it would go has lots of old cracks that were welded up and bondo'd over when the truck was "restored" in about '69 and again in '85.

Were problems with stress cracks and so on from the wheel weight and vibration a problem on other makes including Studebaker or was my dad's ford unique? I should also mention his truck also has the optional 17" split rims so those may be heavier than the normal 16" ones I have seen on other fords of similar vintage. Having tried to pick up and move one of those rims with a tire on it I can attest to its great weight!

Jeff in ND
                      Jeff - This was obviously a "non-factory" modification of the truck as Studebaker did not introduce to outside mount until 1958 when they made the first 4x4 pickup which necessitated moving the spare from under the pickup bed to create a "curbside" mount. So, if the proper reinforcement was not done, that could certainly have caused the problems you identified.

<h5>Mark
                      '57 Transtar Deluxe
                      Vancouver Island Chapter
                      http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
                      '66 Commander

Comment

I believe that Jeff was talking about a 55 Ford.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
                        "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                        "In the heart of Arkansas."
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52-fan

I believe that Jeff was talking about a 55 Ford.
                          You're right! [:0][:I] I'm seeing "Studebaker" even when it's not printed. []

<h5>Mark
                          '57 Transtar Deluxe
                          Vancouver Island Chapter
                          http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
                          '66 Commander

Comment

Matt, if you do this make sure you let us know how it goes; I've been thinking about it for my '56.

Studebaker classifieds! www.studeswap.com

Comment

Will do Steve.

Matthew Burnette
                              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Working...
                              X