How Successful was the V-8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Successful was the V-8?

[u]Standard Catalog of Independents, The Struggle to Survive Among Giants,</u> Edited by Ron Kowalke, copywrite 1999, Krause Publications, inc.

Steve

Interesting. Those figures seem to confirm what notions I'd developed about numbers (6s vs V8s) I've seen thru the years.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Studebaker advertized fuel economy heavily in those years which is no doubt why 6 cylinder production was always greater, but having a V-8 in the lineup added to the appeal. Without those numbers, Studebaker would have no doubt gone down a year or two perhaps after the fall of Kaiser, if not sooner.

60 Lark convertible
      61 Champ
      62 Daytona convertible
      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2)
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Do the counts include V8 Hawks?

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

Hi

Yes, the totals include C, K & Hawk models. My initial curiousity was what affect the re-instatement of the President model had on sales.

Clearly, the availability of V-8 engines went a long way toward keeping Studebaker competitive. The most telling percentages are for the '55-'57 years when the V-8 models took the sales lead. And interesting how the Champions and Commanders lost ground but the most expensive models President models held their percentages until '58. One would think the highest priced models would have dropped first.

Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve, that was very interesting...[^] Wish I had the money for that '53 Champion for sale in Minnesota...[] Speaking of mileage, overdrive, and sixes.

I remember my parents talking about sixes and eights. Dad favoured the six over the eight, however, by '56 the big sixes were no longer available... well... maybe it was '61 when he bought his pickup. Yeah, that must have been it. 'Cause Dad did want a six in the truck. He said they were better for work, though he did conceed that the eight was faster on the Highway.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:'Cause Dad did want a six in the truck. He said they were better for work,
              FWIW, both being stone age designs, Commander six and the crash box T9 4-speed were made for each other. Very low speeds in off-road/field work was the norm back in the pre-pavement farm days. Since the T9 was a pain to shift up or down and the Commander made torque from idle on up to 2500 RPMs, thus it didn't require as much shifting in a low speed "work" environment. When roads were paved and speeds were higher, the Commander screamed its' bearings out in short order when held at high revs for long highway trips.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
              X