Looking for an Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for an Avanti

Just thinking out loud here, but I thought I ask the assemblage. The 54 is complete after a lot of years. I've recently divested myself of the Healey 3000 and my 39 Ford coupe looks like it will sell on Ebay.

My wife has said that see wants "us" to have a neat car like a Corvette, Mustang etc. I've convinced her that an Avanti is a great etc. Therefore, I would like to find an Avanti in reasonable condition, preferably Avanti II due my knowledge of the SBC. Much easier for me to build. The one criteria it must have is a MANUAL tranny. 4-5-6 speed type. This one I plan to drive the wheels off on a regular basis so we are not interested is a show car. Just a proud driver.

The Avanti site has rejected me ( no suprise, I would have trouble with a club that would have me, yah, I know old and worn ) as it appears you need to own one to join. So, I thought this might be the closest thing.

How and where are the best ways to find one other than Ebay.

Thanks, Bob

Bob first off you will not find many Avanti II with standard shift If any were made they would be the first couple years 66 or 67 but not sure if even then, maybe some one has converted one, good luck looking, also I am trying to get onto the Avanti Forum and having trouble myself, if you change your mind and want a nice 63 R-2 with auto I have one here it was at Ceder Rapids in July...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
    canbstudebakers-

]
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

Bob you have an email...

On its way to a 15.097 Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Spring 2006.

Comment

Just for the record, Avanti Motors built a few Avanti IIs with 4-speeds every year through 1974. New EPA regs that took effect in 1975 forced them to build only automatics through 1982. Steve Blake brought the 4-speed back in 82 or 83. By that time, the EPA was granting waivers to small manufacturers and importers.

I have a 74 Avanti with a factory-built 4-speed. It was at one time owned by Steve Blake and allegedly is the car that made him want to buy the whole company.

Skip Lackie
        Washington DC
        Skip Lackie

Comment

The Avanti club [u]will</u> take you.
          I promise.
          It's worth your while to join, if for nothing more than the magazine, and their forum has an active Avanti II discussion...and lots of guys with SBC and modified Avanti experience.

If you have problems, send me a message and I'll send you the personal email of the President.

They want you. Really.

63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Kinda related so I will add it here. There is a 65 Avanti II on E-bay now in Al. Am I correct that it was a miniscule production (My memory says only 5 were built)? Other than the usual Avanti frame rust is there anything specific on these cars to be leery of? I e-mailed the seller but doubt I am a player on it and if the frame is as I suspect I think his opening bid is way too high but its there if anyone is interested. Steve
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the 4 speed update Skip. I would not mind having one my self but for now will be happy with 67- 300 hp 327 and 400 trans...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
              canbstudebakers-

]
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Avanti Motors still used the Borg-Warner Power Shift until 1970 at least. They didn't make the change to the TH400 until late '70 or early '71. If you do the swap, you may as well either go 5- or 6-speed or a TH700R4 or 200R4. Nothing against the TH400, I'm just saying for the effort involved for a swap, get the overdrive.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

The Avanti Meet is in Lisle, IL, Sept 17 - 19. Why not check out their car Corral...

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
                  55 President State Sedan
                  70 Avanti (R3)
                  64 GT Hawk (K7)
                  1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

There is a 63 for sale in St Petersburg FL. Claims it's a 'California' car. Asking $15,000. I can check it out if you want.
                    78 Avanti RQB 2792
                    64 Avanti R1 R5408
                    63 Avanti R1 R4551
                    63 Avanti R1 R2281
                    62 GT Hawk V15949
                    56 GH 6032504
                    56 GH 6032588
                    55 Speedster 7160047
                    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Bob,

We have a local member in the North Georgia Chapter that has a 1970 Avanti II with the factory 4-speed and a SBC with a Paxton. That thing will fly. Unfortunately (for the other Bob) it's not for sale.

Dan Miller
                      Atlanta, GA.

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                      Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Bob,
                        Russ Haggen in Bellingham, WA has an Avanti II with 5 speed as per his ad in the August Whatcom County Chapter, SDC newsletter as follows:
                        "For Sale: 1985 Avanti, 305 H.O. with 5 speed manual trans. Owned since 1987, repainted in 1999 because of road rash, never been hit or bumped. Black laquer exterior, black leather interior (Recaro seats I believe), all Avanti options. Asking $16,000. Contact at 360-733-5741."

Comment

Not sure what that Ebay car will turn out to be. The seller has changed the year from 63 to 65 to 67. As always - Due Diligence!!

Jim
                          Often in error, never in doubt

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
                          Jim
                          Often in error, never in doubt
                          http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

"The Avanti site has rejected me ( no suprise, I would have trouble with a club that would have me, yah, I know old and worn ) as it appears you need to own one to join. So, I thought this might be the closest thing."

Bob ( and Bob), if the Avanti site rejected you, it's gotta be a site software bs issue, definitely not a club issue ( they had me on the board for a few years, lol). The same over-volunteered person is doing the admin work for both sites ( aoai and yahoo chat). please email me and I'll help you overcome the barriers.

Jeff

1951 Rod
                            1962 Champ
                            1963 Avanti R1
                            1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
                            1964 Daytona Convertible
                            2006 Avanti Convertible
                            1951 Custom
                            1958 Packard Hawk < resto project
                            1962 Champ
                            1963 Standard R1 4 speed
                            1963 Avanti R1
                            1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
                            2006 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Bob;
                              How about a Road Trip!!! Fly to California, buy this car and drive back to Michigan (isn't that where you're located?).

I believe Russ Hagen's car would be great too, but IIRC, it requires some body work - little parking lot mishap, methinks.

Let us know what you do. And please try the AOAI site again - lots of very helpful people in that group.

Cheers,
                              Rich

Richard Morris
                              Renton, WA
                              64 Avanti R-1 #5367
                              90 Avanti 4-door #78

Comment

Working...
                              X