This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting to Replace my Carpet

I bought the '54 almost 10 years ago. The interior is where the car needs the most help. I decided to buy new carpeting for it, and started the preparation today.

I remember briefly looking under the rear seat cushions years ago, but seeing as how there was still a floor there, I didn't look at it all that closely at the time.

This afternoon I pulled up what was left of the old carpet, plus my homemade front set made from a roll of cheap stuff from a discount store. It was good to see it go!

Then I removed the rear seat cushions. Here's what I found:

A 2 X 5 inch piece of upholstery cloth from a different model.

A little paper tag with a reinforcement hole on one end, with handwriting on it that says 306828-X3, 10-22, GB 13

3 loose Phillips head screws matching the ones holding the center armrest to the floor.

1 tiny one-hole rubber grommet that looks like it belongs up at the firewall somewhere.

1 extra star washer that matches the ones under the front seat bolts.

1 neatly cut 1-inch long piece of blue windlace in mint condition.

1 Phillips head trim screw

1 nail matching the two used to fasten the carpet to the brace under the front of the back seat

1 small piece of rubber tubing

2 very long hairpins

1 curved piece of metal that looks at first like an upholstery hog ring, but isn't.

And the neatest thing, not supplied by Studebaker (at least I don't THINK so..), was the most perfectly preserved mouse skeleton, no fur, no nothing, just the skeleton.

What have you found under your back seat lately?

well it wasn't in the back seat but i recently bought a '62 y4 parts car, and after breaking into the trunk i found a fuel reciept from the mid-iowa truck stop altoona, iowa and two nos back-up lenses and a nos tail-light lens, 3 spare tires and wheels the complete jack set and a rather large rats nest....

Comment

well it wasn't in the back seat but i recently bought a '62 y4 parts car, and after breaking into the trunk i found a fuel reciept from the mid-iowa truck stop altoona, iowa and two nos back-up lenses and a nos tail-light lens, 3 spare tires and wheels the complete jack set and a rather large rats nest....

Comment

You did better than me!

Comment

You did better than me!

Comment

Never bought a used car that didn't come equipped with hairpins of various sizes under the seats. Usually find some loose change, too.
            Skip Lackie
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Never bought a used car that didn't come equipped with hairpins of various sizes under the seats. Usually find some loose change, too.
              Skip Lackie
              Skip Lackie

Comment

There is a member of one of the SDC chapters that I belong to that bought a brand X used car. For some reason he had to remove the back seat and found $1500 neatly taped to the bottom. He guessed that it had been used in some sort of drug operation. I wonder if the 120 point check at Carmax includes that sort of search?

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

There is a member of one of the SDC chapters that I belong to that bought a brand X used car. For some reason he had to remove the back seat and found $1500 neatly taped to the bottom. He guessed that it had been used in some sort of drug operation. I wonder if the 120 point check at Carmax includes that sort of search?

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

The only loose change I found in the car when I first went over it years ago was a 1941 dime which was wedged into the front seat cushion, and a 1956 wheat penny which was on top of the frame, right near the stoplight switch. The location of that one surprised me!

No big bills found.

Comment

The only loose change I found in the car when I first went over it years ago was a 1941 dime which was wedged into the front seat cushion, and a 1956 wheat penny which was on top of the frame, right near the stoplight switch. The location of that one surprised me!

No big bills found.

Comment

Finally had some free time today to return to my carpet installation on the '54. It quickly became obvious that removing the seats would provide me with a lot more working room, and fewer carpet cuts.

All the seat mounting bolts except 2 came out, and of course, they snapped off. Inspired by the recent postings by sbca96 (Tom) of nice straight bolt drilling, I decided to try to drill them out. Usually, when I try something like this it just turns into a hosed up mess, but today was a good Studebaker day. After drilling through one and putting a little PB blaster on the thread, it came out with an easy out. I think this is the first time in over 30 years of working on cars that an easy out worked successfully for me. The other bolt put up more of a fight, but I just drilled and tapped it to original size.

The condition of the floor was even better than I remembered it when I last saw it 10 years ago. I took some pictures of the empty interior before proceeding.

My carpet set came from Historic Automotive. The padding is not attached to the carpet. I recommend 3M General Trim Adhesive, # 08088, in a large spray can. Put some on both the carpet and the padding and after a couple minutes, press them together. Then you can move the carpet and padding around together with ease as it's positioned.

There are no holes for the (floorboard) clutch and brake pedals. The pedals didn't want to come off. I found a 24 inch pipe wrench of my grandfather's that opened up enough to go around the pedal(s), and with a little tug they finally broke free.

There is a dimmer switch grommet but none for the floorboard starter button. Nothing a knife can't fix. I'll get a grommet onto it somehow later. No access for the master cylinder either, but I'll design a flap of some sort.

I'm not finished yet. Had to quit the job to attend a family picnic later in the day. But the hardest part is done. I'm pleased with the carpet from Historic. It does require some cutting and work, but it looks quite nice.

Out in the driveway most of the day, sunny and 74 degrees, working on the Studebaker. It doesn't get much more fun than this.

Comment

Finally had some free time today to return to my carpet installation on the '54. It quickly became obvious that removing the seats would provide me with a lot more working room, and fewer carpet cuts.

All the seat mounting bolts except 2 came out, and of course, they snapped off. Inspired by the recent postings by sbca96 (Tom) of nice straight bolt drilling, I decided to try to drill them out. Usually, when I try something like this it just turns into a hosed up mess, but today was a good Studebaker day. After drilling through one and putting a little PB blaster on the thread, it came out with an easy out. I think this is the first time in over 30 years of working on cars that an easy out worked successfully for me. The other bolt put up more of a fight, but I just drilled and tapped it to original size.

The condition of the floor was even better than I remembered it when I last saw it 10 years ago. I took some pictures of the empty interior before proceeding.

My carpet set came from Historic Automotive. The padding is not attached to the carpet. I recommend 3M General Trim Adhesive, # 08088, in a large spray can. Put some on both the carpet and the padding and after a couple minutes, press them together. Then you can move the carpet and padding around together with ease as it's positioned.

There are no holes for the (floorboard) clutch and brake pedals. The pedals didn't want to come off. I found a 24 inch pipe wrench of my grandfather's that opened up enough to go around the pedal(s), and with a little tug they finally broke free.

There is a dimmer switch grommet but none for the floorboard starter button. Nothing a knife can't fix. I'll get a grommet onto it somehow later. No access for the master cylinder either, but I'll design a flap of some sort.

I'm not finished yet. Had to quit the job to attend a family picnic later in the day. But the hardest part is done. I'm pleased with the carpet from Historic. It does require some cutting and work, but it looks quite nice.

Out in the driveway most of the day, sunny and 74 degrees, working on the Studebaker. It doesn't get much more fun than this.

Comment

The carpet sets don't address the master cylinder access issue. On some early cars like yours, you lift the carpet to fill, others have a rubber cover from the factory. Don't cut a "flap", your carpret goes over the sill plates, not under. On the cras with the rubber cover, just cut a hole in the carpet and install the factory cover. Thanks for the nice comments on the carpets, and I'll have them add a extra grommet on early stick shift cars.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
                            65 Sports Sedan
                            64 Daytona HT
                            63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                            63 GT Hawk
                            63 Avanti R1/AC
                            63 Avanti R2/4 speed
                            63 Daytona HT
                            63 Lark 2 dr.
                            62 Lark 2 door
                            62 GT(parts car)
                            60 Lark convert
                            60 Hawk
                            52 Starliner
                            51 Commander
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

The carpet sets don't address the master cylinder access issue. On some early cars like yours, you lift the carpet to fill, others have a rubber cover from the factory. Don't cut a "flap", your carpret goes over the sill plates, not under. On the cras with the rubber cover, just cut a hole in the carpet and install the factory cover. Thanks for the nice comments on the carpets, and I'll have them add a extra grommet on early stick shift cars.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
                              65 Sports Sedan
                              64 Daytona HT
                              63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                              63 GT Hawk
                              63 Avanti R1/AC
                              63 Avanti R2/4 speed
                              63 Daytona HT
                              63 Lark 2 dr.
                              62 Lark 2 door