WHEN STUDEBAKER WENT TO CANADA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHEN STUDEBAKER WENT TO CANADA

In my old age I seem to remember that the company was moved to Canada.. I'm pretty sure they did use the Chevy engine in the Hawks and Avanti on or about the same time.. I know Checker did but I'm really not sure about Studebaker's main line.. Help me out quick.. I know I won't be able to sleep until I find out.. Sure is bad getting old..

Ben

When production of the 64 models was discontinued in South Bend, the only production for the 65 & 66 model years was in Canada, they did use the GM 283 cu in engine, only 2 & 4 door sedans & 4 door wagons were produced... no Hawks...no Avanti's

Comment

The company never "moved to Canada". There was Studebaker production in Canada from something like the 1920s. There were even Hawks made there. When production was shut down in South Bend in December 1963, all Studebaker production was consolidated to Canada. Hawk and Avanti production did not move to Canada. Late 1964 (Lark type) models were all made in Canada and all had Studebaker engines. 1965-1966 Studebaker models were all made in Canada and all had GM engines.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

And if you remember an Avanti with a Chevy engine...
        You're thinking of the Avanti II, produced in South Bend starting in 1965-66 after the Avanti design, tooling and surplus parts were acquired by Newman & Altman. It was an independent company. The cars were NOT Studebakers. They did have Chevy engines since the Studebaker foundry had closed in South Bend.

See, there's no one easy answer to a question about Studebaker history.

63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Just to add onto what's been already said, the GM engines installed in '65 & '66 Canada built Studes were supplied by McKinnon Industries, a division of GM. I'm not sure of the correct spelling.
          They were, in fact, Chevy engines.
          When production was only in Hamilton, Ontario, the Avantis, Hawks, and truck lines were discontinued.
          Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

The motor was a modified Canadian Chevy. Some of the internal parts (Stude spects) were not interchangable between the one used in the Canadian Chevy and the Canadian Studebaker. Checker used the U.S. Chevy motor with the Studebaker transmission so it was a no brainer, Studebaker had already developed the bell housing to marry their transmission to the U.S. Chevy motor.......

Richard

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Retired

The motor was a modified Canadian Chevy. Some of the internal parts (Stude spects) were not interchangable between the one used in the Canadian Chevy and the Canadian Studebaker.
              Urban legend.

They were the same as any other Chevy engines. Not modified in any way. The 283's were "off the shelf" 195 HP 283's and exactly the same as you would find in a 65-66 Chevy (Pontiac in Canada). Same with the 194 and 230 CID 6's.

Mckinnon (also known as St. Catherines) was just another engine plant for GM...like Flint, Tonawanda, Saginaw. GM has owned McKinnon Industries since 1929.

The Chevy engines used by Studebaker are not stamped with the factory code as used by GM so there is no way to tell which plant they came from. It is logical that they came from the McKinnon plant due to the proximity to Hamilton, but there is some evidence that GM reneged
              on their agreement with Studebaker to provide the engines from Canada and provided them from Flint and Tonawanda soon after '65 production began.

We would like to think that Studebaker wouldn't stoop to use an off the shelf Chevy engine ()...but they did.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

At the time in 65 I felt that this move by Studebaker would be a good one inasmuch as what was offered by Chevy was a 2 speed powerglide trans vs. the 3 speed in the Stude. Cars I had seen in the showroom showed that the fit & finish on the Stude was far better than GM. With the hype we read about a proposed plan to enlarge the factory in Hamilton, I believed it was going to get better, but that was just hype, nothing else. The die was already cast & the end was planned. The Avanti II was good, but it was the leftovers of Stude, close but no cigar.

60 Lark convertible
                61 Champ
                62 Daytona convertible
                63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2)
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I haven't gone looking for a detailed history of Studebaker - especially their last few years - on the net. This is because I'm pretty familiar with the how and why of the final years. But today I was motivated to do so because of the thread originator's questions. So I did follow whatever links I could find EASILY - I didn't want to make a day of it. And while I found several links to summations of Studebaker history, none of them accurately explained the shift to Canadian-only production or the why of the GM engines or even clearly noted that all but the Larks had been dropped after '64. I don't even see a "history" on this website. Anybody know where there's a good, fairly detailed history on the net?[?]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1963 Cruiser
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It's a fascinating story full of intrigue and behind closed doors shennanigans. You can really get into it if you so chose. There's even a Richard Nixon connection. I read that Studebaker management had already given up on building cars and only transferred production to the Hamilton plant to get out of certain union agreements.

Good stuff!!! Someone oughta make a movie about it.

Jon Stalnaker
                    Editor, Hawk Talks
                    Karel Staple Chapter SDC
                    Jon Stalnaker
                    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

/Cut/Checker used the U.S. Chevy motor with the Studebaker transmission so it was a no brainer, Studebaker had already developed the bell housing to marry their transmission to the U.S. Chevy motor.......Richard
                      I think you will find that it is the other way around! Either Checker or Kaiser Jeep (one of the 4 Jeep names/owners) paid to have the Chevy. Engine to Borg Warner Trans. Converter Housing made, for the Jeep Wagoneer and or the Checker car. Then Studebaker picked it up cheaply, design and tooling having been done. [^]

Great idea about "Studebaker's Last Days", story/movie! [] [^]
                      The Nixon Movie only just hinted at the Studebaker connection, and we know Ike (Dwight Eisenhower) had a lot to do with the Curtis Wright merger (buyout) a Government orchestrated bailout!

StudeRich
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Alright,, Can we take this one step further ??

Before I retired, there was an Avanti ll dealer in the Atlanta area.. They did participate in the anual AJC car show for a coupala years and were listed in the journals list of dealers.. The cars looked as if they had a stretched chassis with the last production four door body from Studie.. The front header,hood and fenders were Avanti panels.. I think a Chevy drivetrain.. Not really that good looking but needless to say they did stand out.. Somewhere in the back of my mind seems they were built at Villa Rica, Ga., just west of Atlanta.. Yep, I'll agree Studie has a very interesting pedigree.. Some body please write a book !! I've bought all the tapes I can find with a little insight from the past, but no complete history..

Ben Barfield
                        retired GM

Comment

Oh, one other thing..

On the Jeep Wagoneer (the small one) one year they came with the Chevy 60 degree V-6 2.8 Liter engine.. That Bellhousing was a different bolt pattern from the V-8.. Don't think the CJ's had the Chevy engine..

Ben

Comment

From what I've read, Studebaker wanted to use the Ford 289.....since Stude had a 289. Ford said NO, so GM said yes, but they were 2nd in line

Orlando FLA
                            Orlando FLA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

/Cut/Checker used the U.S. Chevy motor with the Studebaker transmission so it was a no brainer, Studebaker had already developed the bell housing to marry their transmission to the U.S. Chevy motor.......Richard
                              I think you will find that it is the other way around! Either Checker or Kaiser Jeep (one of the 4 Jeep names/owners) paid to have the Chevy. Engine to Borg Warner Trans. Converter Housing made, for the Jeep Wagoneer and or the Checker car. Then Studebaker picked it up cheaply, design and tooling having been done. [^]
                              That's right!! As per E.T. Reynolds Sr....

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X