Jeep with a Stude V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep with a Stude V8

This used to be a common conversion. Looks like maybe some survived.

This one appears to be a bargain. I'm over my limit, unfortunately

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

I've heard of several Wagoneers that were done this way too. Seems it was very popular in the mid sixties.

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I've heard of several Wagoneers that were done this way too. Seems it was very popular in the mid sixties.

Lotsa Larks!
      Ron Smith
      Ron Smith

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

When I lived in Hawaii in the 60s my next door neighbor installed a Lark 259 in his Jeep pickup. His reasoning was the Studebaker V-8 was the toughest engine he could get (and afford). He did the conversion curbside along side his house.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
        '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
        '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
        Museum R-4 engine
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

When I lived in Hawaii in the 60s my next door neighbor installed a Lark 259 in his Jeep pickup. His reasoning was the Studebaker V-8 was the toughest engine he could get (and afford). He did the conversion curbside along side his house.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
          '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
          '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
          Museum R-4 engine
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

There is a Willys Jeep station wagon here in town that I think would be the perfect recipient of a Stude V-8! When I get a place to do the work, I might inquire to see what the guy might want for it and then......
            Joe Roberts
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

There is a Willys Jeep station wagon here in town that I think would be the perfect recipient of a Stude V-8! When I get a place to do the work, I might inquire to see what the guy might want for it and then......
              Joe Roberts
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Boy, if I yearned to own a Jeep! Thing is, if you thought that rolled 65 Stude was a danger to your cranium!!![:0]

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Boy, if I yearned to own a Jeep! Thing is, if you thought that rolled 65 Stude was a danger to your cranium!!![:0]

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The wrangler yes, Mr. Biggs, but the Wagoneer is a lot safer. Provided of course, that one doesn't put stupid big tires on it and modify the suspension...

Lotsa Larks!
                    Ron Smith
                    Ron Smith

Comment

The wrangler yes, Mr. Biggs, but the Wagoneer is a lot safer. Provided of course, that one doesn't put stupid big tires on it and modify the suspension...

Lotsa Larks!
                      Ron Smith
                      Ron Smith

Comment

When I was first learning to drive my dad gave me his 48 jeeep station wagon that already had a 232 installed in it.I saved my summer job money and bought a 259 4bbl and put it in.It already had a ford rear end with 4:11 gears with a 3-speed overdrive. That thing would run really well on the low end but it really wasn't safe to drive at higher speeds because it was so nose heavy. Willys used a transverse leaf,kingppin with arm front suspension. When the 232 was installed they had to add an extra leaf to the front end.Probably the best combination that was in it was the champion six.

Comment

When I was first learning to drive my dad gave me his 48 jeeep station wagon that already had a 232 installed in it.I saved my summer job money and bought a 259 4bbl and put it in.It already had a ford rear end with 4:11 gears with a 3-speed overdrive. That thing would run really well on the low end but it really wasn't safe to drive at higher speeds because it was so nose heavy. Willys used a transverse leaf,kingppin with arm front suspension. When the 232 was installed they had to add an extra leaf to the front end.Probably the best combination that was in it was the champion six.

Comment

Working...
                          X