Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever have an Airtex pump do this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever have an Airtex pump do this?

I came back from a trip and wanted to get the car ready for a Sunday show. It cranked and started fine, but then stalled like it ran out of gas. It wasn't that long since my last outing, but presumed the carb dried out, so the electric fuel pump was flipped on.
    Again it started and stalled. It would only continue to run with the electric fuel pump ON. What does that sound like.... This Airtex is an older one, but not that old...

Look at what I found when it was pulled apart. The diaphragm is fine, but the lever arm, inside the pivot pin, busted...

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
    55 President State Sedan
    70 Avanti (R3)
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Airtex is getting a really bad reputation with Studebaker people. After reading all the comments on the forum I would not buy one for any engine.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Good thing those bits stayed inside the pump body.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
      '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

No I have not, but dang, that's a bit unnerving. I'am still running an Airtex pump in Desee and the backup spare in the trunk is another Airtex. Since I already have 'em I was planning to run them till they crap out, but it looks like I've got another thing to worry about. Don't know what the probability of that happening again is or of the parts getting back into the engine, but apparently it could happen. I just finished installing a Facet electric fuel pump in Clem two weeks ago and completely removed the Airtex and used a block off plate. This was mainly because of the corn gas vapor lock problem he has been having since the weather warmed up last spring. The other reason I removed the mechanical pump was that Clem's got power steering and of course getting at the pump is a pain. I was also concerned about the Airtex diaphragm at some point failing and the Facet pump forcing raw gas past it and into the engine. I haven't driven him much since the installation but so far so good.

Dean Croft
        Roseburg,OR

CLEM DESEE
        Dean

CLEM

Comment

No, but the Airtex electric replacements you find at auto zone and advance don't seem last as long as they should.

Comment

I HAVE had that happen. But it was years ago and it was the last one I would use.[}]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1963 Cruiser
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Those Airtex are great for paper weights, but please don't run them on your engine! [xx(]

StudeRich
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

This is a shame, AIRTEX used to be a good pump 20-30 yrs ago. I don't have proof but I'd guess this is a result of outsourcing to offshore suppliers!

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Those Airtex are great for paper weights, but please don't run them on your engine! [xx(]

StudeRich

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                57 SH (project)
                60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                57 SH (project)
                60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

I had that happen to my 64 Champ with a 289 a few years ago only the pump was a new replacement Carter pump that I bought from NAPA. Fortunately I heard it ticking and I removed the pump before the arm split completely sending the arm into the front of the engine that would have probably destroyed the timing gear. Bud

Comment

I tried finding one at Advance @ $33.00, as their online catalog lists them, but, but they can't get them any more. Other online sources were around $45.00 + shipping. I opted to get one at a local Napa place @ $59.00.

Bud: The arm won't fall into the timing cover, unless the pin housing breaks. The small broken piece was still contained inside the pump housing, in front of the pin.

The new pump had to be epoxied to prevent oil spewing all over and it works fine right now, but at that price and reliability level, I'll be working on making the electric pumps the primaries...

I'm working on a webpage using Rosstudes method...
                    <http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...C_ID=32566>

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
                    55 President State Sedan
                    70 Avanti (R3)
                    64 GT Hawk (K7)
                    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Airtecc is what I'm running, does anyone else make our Studie fuel pumps?

Comment

55 Prez, the arm on my pump broke at the pin hole. One side had split completely and the other side was split about 2/3rds of the way around the pin hole. every time the arm hit the eccentric on the cam, the arm would flex and make a noise like a failing rocker arm which I thought it was at first. Bud

Comment

I've been rebuilding the original Carter pumps when I can find them as I believe that the quality of the original pump is considerably better that any of the aftermarket pumps. Bud

Comment

I had an Airtex on the Chevy engine in my 53 start leaking like a sive. 2 years old and 2000 miles and out of the one year warranty. I compained to the factory guy at SEMA and he said the dealer should replace it but it was more hastle than to just buy another for around $20.
                            Denny L

Comment

I had an airtex pump fail on me last summer after a week. I probably had 5 miles on it. Having just replaced the old pump I knew the symptoms of a bad pump. When I took it apart the diaphragm was fine but lever arm was broke where it connected to the diaphragm.

Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X