Transmission Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Question.

While dissasembling my 55 pickup, in cleaning the trans we discovered a small tag under one of the top cover bolts. the tag reads

VS1. What does this mean? It is a T86 OD. Engine is a 224 V8. NT

Neil Thornton
    Hazlehurst, GA
    '57 Silver Hawk
    '56 Sky Hawk
    '51 2R16 dump truck
    Many others.

Neil Thornton

It's possible the tag is mounted upside down. If so it would read 12V. Skip, I went to specs and data, but couldn't find anything there. I wonder if it is a 12 volt OD unit? I think the rest of the truck is still 6V Thanks NT

Neil Thornton
    Hazlehurst, GA
    '57 Silver Hawk
    '56 Sky Hawk
    '51 2R16 dump truck
    Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

And on the engine.. That isn't a "710" cap either. It's "oil".

Are you putting that 259 at your house in this truck?

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

YEP. Putting the 259 from an old 57 Commander in it. Been sitting on the floor of the shop since before you were born. It's about time someone did somthing with it. NT

Neil Thornton
        Hazlehurst, GA
        '57 Silver Hawk
        '56 Sky Hawk
        '51 2R16 dump truck
        Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Tell James he and I are gonna have a Studie truck drag race once both of our trucks are done.

My truck can kick your truck's butt....

[)][)]

Got new HD shocks on the front today and the new tie rod ends put on. Then it decided to storm.

Matthew Burnette
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Does the transmission also have numbers stamped on the top flange? Probably just a way identify a running change.

Jon Krimm
            1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

Some of the Borg Warner 3 speeds have the stamping on the top right rear corner under or near the 6 bolt tin top cover, it is a date code which would help to I.D. it.

StudeRich
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

And on the engine.. That isn't a "710" cap either. It's "oil".

Are you putting that 259 at your house in this truck?

Matthew Burnette
                Hazlehurst, GA

Matthew, you kill me ...Russ Farris
                1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockinhawk

It's possible the tag is mounted upside down. If so it would read 12V. Skip, I went to specs and data, but couldn't find anything there. I wonder if it is a 12 volt OD unit? I think the rest of the truck is still 6V Thanks NT

Neil Thornton
                  Hazlehurst, GA
                  '57 Silver Hawk
                  '56 Sky Hawk
                  '51 2R16 dump truck
                  Many others.
                  Neil-
                  Well there are limits to what we know. My engine data table was based almost entirely on a literature search. I think we're stuck with the fact that Stude didn't make its own transmissions, but bought them from Warner. As a result, we don't know the significance of all the numbers we find on tranmission assemblies. By contrast, GM parts books contain extensive tables of ID data on transmissions, axles, and other assemblies that they built themselves. All that info has been handy when trying to award the best-of-show trophy at a Corvette show.

And BTW, I have seen many stamped numbers where one or more of the characters was upside down. Those stamping tools were generally set up by hand.

Skip Lackie
                  Washington DC
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Might I add that with most Studes approaching at least 50 years of age, unless you're working with one that Aunt Ginny, or Grampa Dave bought new - and kept meticulous records on - you can't know all that's happened thru the years.

If it's got a 12V solenoid on it, it means either that solenoid's been swapped OR maybe the whole tranny! One thing's certain, Stude would not have installed a 12V part on a vehicle that was built for 6volts.
                    Of course, one WILL fit where the other will. Same way with wiper motors, heater motors and light bulbs.

If you look at the parts book, while there's no reference to the CAST numbers on tranny parts, there is an explanation of the tranny's serial number that should be stamped into a machined area on the top of the case (T-86 anyway) The book explains that this is a date of assy code.
                    When Neil first posted this question, I whipped out my old Hollander's interchange manual and turned to the tranny section where I found virtually nothing of significance. In fact... it shows Stude truck trannies of all sort and description from 48- on up. But there's NO mention of these early V8 trucks or their T-86s.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1963 Cruiser
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I found some more #s. On the corner of the Boss is 41 All by itself. then what appears to be the main # is K184?2. inplace of the ? could be B,R,8,or 3. the little tag that first caught our attention is nowher near the solenoid. It's under one of the top cover bolts. The trans and bellhousing are painted blue if that means anything. NT

Neil Thornton
                      Hazlehurst, GA
                      '57 Silver Hawk
                      '56 Sky Hawk
                      '51 2R16 dump truck
                      Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Working...
                      X