Oh baby, what have they done to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh baby, what have they done to you?

A few posts ago I mentioned another Stude guy had told me the whereabouts of my first Stude, (well not my 1st, 1st, but the 1st one I had on the road. My 1st was a wrecked '54 Land Cruiser), and that she was for sale. I sold her in November '79 to buy a motorbike - and always regreted it

I drove out about 3 hrs west today to have a look at her, (I'd like to take this time to say the last time I saw her she was only 13 years old, Fire Engine Red, and in really good nick. Today, my heart was breaking, thus the subject title, and my second photo

I guess any beauty left out in the elements for 30 years would look...a little tired. Unforntuatley she is beyond repair, but I still bought her for parts for my other GT, as well as some NOS panels. I guess my other 1st is looking a little worse for ware these days, where ever she is.

Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia

Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

DANG, that sucks I guess all you can do is what you did, use her to help others continue on. Interesting to find it all the same though.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Her front end, engine and drive train will go into my '51, and various other parts will be absorbed into my other GT. I'm sure on her rego papers she ticked 'organ donor' darn, I hope she's not a 'Christine', or the '51 and other GT might turn on me for leaving her back in '79[:0]

Matt
      Brisbane
      Australia
      Matt
      Brisbane
      Australia
      sigpic

Comment

Darn, that would be heart breaking. But then your plans will make sure that old GT's heart will continue to beat on in other vehicles.

Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Editor of "The Down Easterner"
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Good luck on the transplant if the 51 is not a V-8 car to start with they can be a ***** to change over, lots of thing that are different, if you don't have one on hand to follow then life could get worse, I know been there done that...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
          canbstudebakers-

]
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Thanks for the 'heads up' Bob, I won't be starting that one for a while, got to finish off my Hawk first. You do realise you have unintenionally nominated yourself as a reference source I believe we know the same people by 2 degrees of seperation, a friend of a friend here from Melbourne.

Matt
            Brisbane
            Australia
            Matt
            Brisbane
            Australia
            sigpic

Comment

At least your first is still in existence. My first car (not stude) was a 70 Galaxie and I watched my dad sell her to the crusher. (yes, she still ran and drove great) I would have loved to at least sit in her seat and get a parting shot like you have of yours, there. Truly sad, in any case, however.

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Driven often, always noticed!

Comment

Just noticed that this car has the door ash receivers as the early Hawks. Is this an import thingy. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
                sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

The ash receivers resemble the ash receivers found on the back of the seats on my Lark. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same design if they are are.

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                  [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                  [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                  [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                  1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                  1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                  1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

My other '62 Hawk has ash trays in the same place. I just assumed that was how the GT hawks came. Might just be an Aussie GT thing?

Matt
                    Brisbane
                    Australia
                    Matt
                    Brisbane
                    Australia
                    sigpic

Comment

I know the feeling. I have a contact with the whereabouts of my first 55 Coupe. I'm afraid to see it after 30 years. Thanks for the warning!
                      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

That is the first GT that I've seen with ash trays in the doors. Mine has one in the center console. The in door ash trays must have been done only to the export cars. Bud

Comment

Your pictures are reversed.

I would assume the right hand drive dash board is worth money ...

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Yes, you're right about her not being in 'good nick' any more. Still, as Tom and others pointed out, she has a great deal still to offer. Actually, the car doesn't look all that bad. Someone, please, post one of those eastern rust-buckets where one can look down through the roof-gutters to the ground.[xx(] Believe me, Matt, I've seen worse (LOL)! Then again, that rust along the back edge of the rear window...[:0][B)]

Hey! ROVER sighting! Are those two Rover Pickups in the background? I gotta show George this. He'll love it! Rovers down under!

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Hey Bams50, here's your chance to stock up on RHD Studebaker parts. You never know, you might get the urge to fix one up for the route for the next IDYSD. OR that AWD Caravan may not last forever.

Jon Stalnaker
                              Editor, Hawk Talks
                              Karel Staple Chapter SDC
                              Jon Stalnaker
                              Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...
                              X