Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studes, and plenty else, at Tillsonburg last Sat

Hi all--

Another super Stude day last Saturday...the Canadian Harvard Aircraft Association hosted a family fun day/car show at their base at the Tillsonburg, Ontario, airport. The weather on the day was changeable to say the very least; I got caught on Hwy#3 en route through the town of Courtland by a rain squall so intense I had to pull off and park because I couldn't see where I was going...but there were also intervals of blazing sunshine. A very good time was had by all and I think this is another car event at an airport (along with the show at CWH a few weeks back) that will probably become an annual thing. Here are some pix...

Soon after arrival, my Lark with a fifties Ford brewery truck

84 Avanti, new to me (but I did already know the owners)

Nifty NASCAResque Meteor

'49 Hudson

Here come the Model Ts...The local Model T club turned out in remarkable force (despite the changeable weather and the toplessness of some of the cars!); ultimately there were no fewer than 22 "Tin Lizzies" on site, all parked in a row

Here's how one enterprising Model T owner prepared a hot lunch en route!

Model T speedster arrives

Quite the T party, eh!

Wild rat rod and beautiful stock late-20s McLaughlin coach

Beautiful 53 Starlight rod

My Lark again with two of CHAA's planes, a Yale (left) and a Harvard (right)

Four of CHAA's Harvards pitch out for landing...the group's Harvards were often airborne (between showers!)

I'd heard the Russell Group might be sending one or more of their aircraft to the show, but doubted they'd turn up once I drove through that squall in the morning. How nice to be wrong. Ed Russell's Hawker Hurricane, C-FDNL "Little Willie", taxis in...

...followed by this. Supermarine Spitfire IXe C-FFLC "Mad Mickey". Note the angry-looking Mickey Mouse rendering on the cowl. Mickey's out of sorts because it was a lawsuit against Disney that provided Mr Russell with enough coin to acquire these glorious warbirds. (BTW, Mr Russell also owns a Daimler-Benz-engined Messerschmitt 109E...)
    [img]http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll26

quote:Originally posted by Steve T

Nifty NASCAResque Merc Cyclone

Looks like a '67 Meteor Montcalm to me!! I've never seen one done up as a race car, though.

Craig

Comment

I think we found all the missing Model T's. What a heart thumping series of pics. Thanks.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Great stuff!
        Thanks for posting.

Chris Pile
        Editor: The Studebaker Special
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

As a lover of old, great planes and cars...looked like a great time. I'd like to see more events that mixed the two.

63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Craig--

Thanx--fixed the caption here and on P'bucket too...guess I was taken in by the David Pearsonish looks of this nifty pretender! The Meteor does have a rollcage, but also has headlights etc. and is plated for normal driving. (I wish NASCAR still fielded cars that resembled cars. You sure couldn't decal-up a present-day Charger, say, and hope anyone would mistake it for an actual racer; whereas this Meteor really does look the part until you get right up to it...)

John--

I think the combined car/plane cruise-in/fly-in idea is indeed going to gain traction. The two such events hereabouts this month--both "first tries"--were very well received indeed, and I expect both will go annual.

S.

Comment

What fun it must have been to be there. I know it was fun looking at the pictures here. Thanks!

Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Editor of "The Down Easterner"
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Steve These are great pics,I really enjoyed the car show and the air show,especially the Spitfire and the Hurricane.There was another Hamilton member there with his 55 Stude pickup,next to my Avanti.I bought the Avanti in March at York,I have also sold the green 66 Daytona,it is now in Burlington

Ray Martin

Comment

So what was that in the Model-T "cook and bake"? It looked like chile.

Jon Stalnaker
                  Editor, Hawk Talks
                  Karel Staple Chapter SDC
                  Jon Stalnaker
                  Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Ray--

The 55 truck's on P'bucket too...Jim's been everywhere in that truck this season, it's in my P'bucket albums quite a bit as a consequence. It's a beauty. Congrats too on finding new homes for the 66s.

Jon--

Not sure what the heat-on-the-go lunch was...looked like Irish Stew, or maybe even some sort of curry! I've heard of souping-up the engine of a Model T, but come on...

S.

Comment

Working...
                    X