How a climatizer works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How a climatizer works

My brother's recent purchase of the '62 Hawk brought to mind that I had no idea how the Climatizer works since I have only '64s and a truck. So Rich was kind enough to do this write up for me. I really wonder how they ever designed this type of setup. My '50 Hudson has what is basically what is used today, Studebaker's system is really pretty weird.

Like all Studebakers Dan, this system may seem complicated because it is different, but it is really very simple. You have one Temp. control Valve on the firewall that all the engine heated water flows through first.

The output, if the slide control is partially ON or full ON will go though the 5/8" hose to the adapter to the 3/8" hose to the defroster coil (core) AND continue through the 5/8" hose to the underseat heater core and both return to the lower side of the water pump to be cooled by the radiator.

The Climitizer only flows fresh air through the underseat heater core, AND ONLY when the right fender door is open and inside door closed, like the '63-'64. This is by far inferior to the new improved '63-'64 system, because the non-fresh air defrost barely works at all, this is the same system used since 1947.

Yes there is a toggle switch for the "Air" fan and one for the "Def." fan that are up for Hi, down for Lo, center for off like the Headlights. I have sold the available Headlight Light switches to be modified or used for High speed only, (the only one you really need anyway) to replace the NLA Air and Def. switches..

Richard Gahlbeck
    Whatcom County Chapter, SDC
    Ferndale, WA

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

You are more than welcome Dan!
    Just remember though, the outside fender door needs to be open to take advantage of that great fresh air Defrost & Heat system you have in your '64 GT's!

It was changed in '63 to put the Heater core on the inner right front fender and eliminate the (all but non-functional) separate re-circulate air Defrost system. [^]

I have seen '63's (have one now) that has a factory cover over the firewall hole for the Def. fan, so they could use up the '62 firewalls before using the new smooth ones. [:0] [:0]

Many people bought Studebakers and complained to Dealers about the lack of Heat, because they never read the Owners Guide or were told about the right Air vent door.

On '59-'66 Larks & Lark Types you have to pull the right hand round black knob under the dash to open the air duct door.
    StudeRich
    Edit: corrected typo.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Man 'O Man, have we come a long way with modern car heating/air conditioning systems or haven't we? Just push a button to set your prefered temperature and drive on in perfect comfort, with interior glass surfaces steam/fog free! But, is it as much fun?

JimsLeadCommander
      JimsLeadCommander

Comment

Just for what it's worth, both my 53 and 55 have the Climatizer valve, both are set to heat the car if its cool. As soon as the cabin gets warm, they close down and don't open until it gets cool. Once they are set, there is no need to adjust them.

Maybe not 21st century modern, but certainly ahead of their time.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        ....On the road, again....
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

Working...
        X