Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member & Silver Hawk Owner

Hello,

I don't have a pic yet, heck I don't even have the stud at my house(need to make room for it) its still 2 hours away.. But here is the story

My Father-in-law purchased a 57 289 Studebaker Silver Hawk about 4 years ago from Co and brought it back to ohio. I'm still trying to find more info about it but I would guess its been restored or at least painted and seats re-done. The Engine compartment looks stock all but an aftermarket air cleaner but original is in the trunk.

I grew up listening to stories about my Dads Golden Hawk and how fast it was.. I'm planning to take my parents out to dinner in the car 1st chance we get..

My Wife and I decided to purchase from the estate after her father passed seeing how her 2 brothers were more interested in selling for the cash but we wanted to keep the family and enjoy it.

I've never owned this age of a car before but it seems to be in good condition other than fuel pump is dripping, valve cover gasket leaks and rear end looks to be dripping as well. The Brakes work but you got to push them at least 50% to stop I need to investigate general circuit or at least replace fluid for starters.

Is there any known short comings I should be concerned with?

What kind of oil should I use?

Where do I find an cylmers manual for this to learn more etc etc..

And where do I buy parts?

Any advice welcome.

thanks in advance

I post pics as soon as I can..

Dave

1957 Silver Hawk 289

Hi Dave - Welcome to the Forum!

Some thoughts to share:

If you have not already done so, join the SDC (you can even do it online). Only $19.95 for your first year and the info you will get from Turning Wheels (the monthly publication), is worth 10x the membership fee! http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/joinsdc.asp

Reprints of the original Parts and Shop Manuals are available from one of the many Studebaker Parts Vendors - Get them! - they are invaluable. http://www.studebakervendors.com/

Make sure you use oil that has sufficient zinc for your flat tappet engine either in the oil, or as an additive - a search on this Forum will bring up many posts about oil for Stude's!

Others will chime in with more info I am sure.

Don't forget to post some pics for us and ENJOY! [8D][^]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island Chapter
    http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

Welcome to the world of Studebaker owners. Check Studebaker vendors.com for your parts as you can find just about everything you should need to keep your Studebaker running. I use 15W-40 Chevron Delo 400 in my Studebakers as it is rated for diesel engines and they won't tolerate the reduced antiwear additives that are lacking in SM rated oils meant for new cars. You should at least flush out the brake system and adjust the brakes as they are manually adjusted. There are several Stude parts vendors that have reprints of the original shop manual for your car, they are well worth the money if you plan on driving your car. Bud

Comment

Let me also welcome you to the Stude clan. Make sure you add the "e" to stude otherwise people may get the wrong idea. One other suggestion - join the local chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club.
        Peter Bishop

Comment

Welcome, Dave. It's a little over a three hour drive from you, but we're having a huge end of the summer Ohio Region Studebaker Meet at Summit Racing next Saturday. You're sure to get plenty of inspiration there with 150 to 200 Studes and have your questions answered there, too. It's from 11:00am to 8:30 PM the 29th. Here's the address right off of I-76 east of Akron:

Summit Racing
          1200 Southeast Ave
          Tallmadge, OH 44278
          (330) 630-0270

Comment

Welcome to the forum

Orlando FLA
            Orlando FLA

Comment

Welcome! If you have never owned a car of this vintage before please keep in mind that it is a lot different than today's cars. Some ways better, some ways not. It does require regular maintenance, it doesn't stop or start like a new car, nor does it ride and handle like one. But you will enjoy it much more, people always wave and/or talk (I hope you like talking to strangers) and it makes you, and more importantly others, smile.

Also, I'm sure you have heard the term "chick magnet" It doesn't apply (much); they are more like "old man magnets"

Studebaker classifieds! www.studeswap.com

Comment

Welcome to the Stude world, you will find that you made a great choice. Lots of good info on here and lots of help. And once you get aquainted with your local chapter your knowledge and help will increase as will your good times with a great car.

Comment

Enjoy the Hawk. Good to see another Silver Hawk owner. Waitin to see pics.

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome and all the advice.. I'll be joining the drivers club..

As soon as I get it home I'll wash/wax and then will post those pics!!

once again thanks!

1957 Silver Hawk 289

Comment

I Drove the Stude around 110 miles to get it home today!! Topped off the oil level, water and tires was straight forward.. But when I started digging for brake fluid it took a little more effort. The carpet, door jam molding and gas pedal was removed to get to the master cylinder and found it was dry!! Filled it and bled 1 wheel and I suddenly had a full brake pedal..

Car did well but didn't steer to the right very well at all.. It felt like it was binding up when turning right, the steering wheel didn't return really I had to return myself. Also the OverDrive did not work so I need to figure that out as well as the horn switch..

After I got homeI lubed the front end and noticed a little slop in the wheel bearings but other than that I didn't notice any other problems.

Any Suggestions?

1957 Silver Hawk 289

Comment

Gorgeous car. [8D]

My own '58 Stude has the same "won't return to center after a right turn" syndrome. Fill the steering gear with fluid and it'll probably go away.

Matthew Burnette
                        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Great looking car Dave, Looks like you'll be enjoying this right away.

Packardbakerly,
                          J.D.
                          sigpic

Packardbakerly,
                          J.D.

Comment

That is a good looking car, congratulations!

Pat

Pat Dilling
                            Olivehurst, CA
                            Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611
                            Pat Dilling
                            Olivehurst, CA
                            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Yep, I have a suggestion for all of your problems, give it to me! That is a beautiful car!

Studebaker classifieds! www.studeswap.com

Comment

Working...
                              X