66 Cruiser, overheating...again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66 Cruiser, overheating...again

Hey, I know about 4 months ago I had a post on here about my Cruiser boiling over after I changed the water pump, well, now something else is happening....I finally got proper insurance so I can actually drive the car more then just around the block, this Saturday I drove it on the highway, doing 120 kmh according to my GPS to the Hamilton Studebakers Drivers Clubs meet in Grimsby Ontario, just before I got off the highway, the temp gauge shot up to the third line before the red...then it sat all day cooling, left a puddle in the grass, I topped it up and left for home, half way home it boiled over at highway speeds, I checked the coolant when I finally got home, and it was brown, Im not sure if all the rust and muck in the system turned into soultion from the heat, or if theres oil getting in, on Sunday I checked it and it was bright green..so Im alittle confused, any sugestions would be greatly appreciated,

Eric

Eric Harnett
    1966 Cruiser
    Hamilton Ontario
    Hamilton Chapter
    Eric Harnett
    1966 Cruiser
    Hamilton Ontario
    Hamilton Chapter

If it was oil it would be visible through the radiator cap hole as oil is lighter than antifreeze and float on top, especially after it sits awhile. I suspect you have rust issues and might need to clean the block out and get the radiator rodded out. Maybe a good backflush would help.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I had a 66 that had a cracked transmission cooler and filled the radiator with transmission fluid.

mike

Comment

I'll tell you a true story I had a 51 V8 that always ran hot right at 210 degrees the farther you would drive the hotter it got. I had tried everything in the world but nothing helped. I day I noticed a freeze plug leaking so I drove screw driver in it to take it out well a big hunk of cast iron came out with it. I found another block had it machined put it together. Same radiator same water pump same everything. The car ran 170 degrees from then on.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Comment

Working...
        X