1961 hawk has frame damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 hawk has frame damage

I have been dealing with studebaker folks(prewar) for a long time. This past sunday I went up to west virginia and puchased a 1961 hawk from a guy and found that it has been in an accident. The damage is so severe that the hood will not close and the trunk hits the bumper. All my restoration friends are telling me to get my money back however the car is complete and I think it is fixable. I belong to the potomac chapter of the sdc this guy is or was a member, before I throw him under the bus I think I should talk to him as I know he knew of the damage,he told me he did not want to restore this car however was looking to buy another unrestored car in the future. When I asked him why he did not want to restore this car he never gave me a streight anwser.If this is the way studebaker people are now I think I'll go back to my fords and chevys.

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

You went there, looked over the car, and then bought it?
    Did you do a thorough look see?
    Have you put it on a frame rack to see if the frame is bent?
    I've seen trunk lids hit the bumper because of weak hinge springs.
    Something about your post here doesn't sound right....
    Did you realize the scope of the project before you wrote the check?
    But, the real question is...
    Do you still like the Hawk?
    If yes, then get going!
    If no... Then sell it and move on.
    Studebaker people are still people.
    They can make mistakes.
    They can be honest.
    Some not.
    Some can play a good hand of poker...
    Some buy high and sell low
    Buyers remorse is one thing, but sour grapes is another.
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by studelover

I have been dealing with studebaker folks(prewar) for a long time. This past sunday I went up to west virginia and puchased a 1961 hawk from a guy and found that it has been in an accident. The damage is so severe that the hood will not close and the trunk hits the bumper. All my restoration friends are telling me to get my money back however the car is complete and I think it is fixable. I belong to the potomac chapter of the sdc this guy is or was a member, before I throw him under the bus I think I should talk to him as I know he knew of the damage,he told me he did not want to restore this car however was looking to buy another unrestored car in the future. When I asked him why he did not want to restore this car he never gave me a streight anwser.If this is the way studebaker people are now I think I'll go back to my fords and chevys.

Studebakers forever!

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
    Brooklet, Georgia
    '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
    '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
    '61 Hawk (project)
    http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

You went there, looked over the car, and then bought it?
      Did you do a thorough look see?
      Have you put it on a frame rack to see if the frame is bent?
      I've seen trunk lids hit the bumper because of weak hinge springs.
      Something about your post here doesn't sound right....
      Did you realize the scope of the project before you wrote the check?
      But, the real question is...
      Do you still like the Hawk?
      If yes, then get going!
      If no... Then sell it and move on.
      Studebaker people are still people.
      They can make mistakes.
      They can be honest.
      Some not.
      Some can play a good hand of poker...
      Some buy high and sell low
      Buyers remorse is one thing, but sour grapes is another.
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by studelover

Studebakers forever!

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
      Brooklet, Georgia
      '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
      '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
      '61 Hawk (project)
      http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Depends on a few factors.n Did he tell you the car had been hit and how cheap you bought it. BTW, why did you buy it once you saw it was wrecked ?

JDP
        Arnold Md.
        Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 GT hawk
        64 Commander 2 dr.
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
        63 Avanti R1
        63 Daytona convert
        63 Lark 2 door
        63 Lark 2 door #2
        62 Lark 2 door
        60 Hawk
        59 3E truck
        52 Starliner
        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Depends on a few factors.n Did he tell you the car had been hit and how cheap you bought it. BTW, why did you buy it once you saw it was wrecked ?

JDP
          Arnold Md.
          Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 GT hawk
          64 Commander 2 dr.
          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
          63 Avanti R1
          63 Daytona convert
          63 Lark 2 door
          63 Lark 2 door #2
          62 Lark 2 door
          60 Hawk
          59 3E truck
          52 Starliner
          51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:If this is the way studebaker people are now I think I'll go back to my fords and chevys.
            I don't think you can judge all Studebaker people by this guy, and I am sure you can find some Ford and Chevy people who are not as honest as they should be. If it is a 61 Hawk, it is definitely worth saving.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

quote:If this is the way studebaker people are now I think I'll go back to my fords and chevys.
              I don't think you can judge all Studebaker people by this guy, and I am sure you can find some Ford and Chevy people who are not as honest as they should be. If it is a 61 Hawk, it is definitely worth saving.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

I hate to say it, but if you looked at the car before buying it, you really don't have any ground to stand on, if you bought it sight unseen that's another story. I can't tell you how many times I have bought a used item, cars and other things, thinking I checked them over well only to get them home and find more damage or wear than I thought at first. I have also been pleasantly surprised the opisite way. Unfortunatly Buyer Beware.

Comment

I hate to say it, but if you looked at the car before buying it, you really don't have any ground to stand on, if you bought it sight unseen that's another story. I can't tell you how many times I have bought a used item, cars and other things, thinking I checked them over well only to get them home and find more damage or wear than I thought at first. I have also been pleasantly surprised the opisite way. Unfortunatly Buyer Beware.

Comment

First off, most Studebaker guys are okay, but unfortuneately once and awhile there will be a bad apple in the barrel of great guys.

As a side note I once bought a 62 lark, a crashed car. Even though it was as described and I inspected it before I bought it, but after digging into it I would never buy another wrecked car; its just not worth it.

Kent

Comment

First off, most Studebaker guys are okay, but unfortuneately once and awhile there will be a bad apple in the barrel of great guys.

As a side note I once bought a 62 lark, a crashed car. Even though it was as described and I inspected it before I bought it, but after digging into it I would never buy another wrecked car; its just not worth it.

Kent

Comment

Generalization is something I like to stay away from, it is not fair and it's hurtful however dishonesty is the worst thing you can have in the antique hobby, people are spending money that dear to them in an effort to full fill a dream.I know all about buyer beware and finders keepers loser's weepers and all that nonsense. Grown men and women don't act like that in the real world. If I can't trust you I can't do busness with you bottom line. The pre war guy's would never do that and I mean never, this new vain of people are not worthy to be call Studebaker people. Barret/Jackson has made some real knucleheads out of some poluting this hobby making it smell.

Studebakers forever!
                        Studebakers forever!

Comment

Generalization is something I like to stay away from, it is not fair and it's hurtful however dishonesty is the worst thing you can have in the antique hobby, people are spending money that dear to them in an effort to full fill a dream.I know all about buyer beware and finders keepers loser's weepers and all that nonsense. Grown men and women don't act like that in the real world. If I can't trust you I can't do busness with you bottom line. The pre war guy's would never do that and I mean never, this new vain of people are not worthy to be call Studebaker people. Barret/Jackson has made some real knucleheads out of some poluting this hobby making it smell.

Studebakers forever!
                          Studebakers forever!

Comment

Rodney..sorry to hear about your bad luck with the Stude..maybe someone here has the actual frame dimension they could e-mail you and let you find out for sure if you have a bad frame or if the body panel are bumping due to serious rot in the corner supports and such. That makes 2 61's for you..were you going to do both or build one good one of the two? All may not be lost yet...

Tim..from the p15-d24 world

Comment

Rodney..sorry to hear about your bad luck with the Stude..maybe someone here has the actual frame dimension they could e-mail you and let you find out for sure if you have a bad frame or if the body panel are bumping due to serious rot in the corner supports and such. That makes 2 61's for you..were you going to do both or build one good one of the two? All may not be lost yet...

Tim..from the p15-d24 world

Comment

Working...
                              X