Trans. Swap Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans. Swap Questions

I went to several web sites and couldn't get any info. Does anyone know where to get transmission blue prints or engineering drawings of various Borg Warner transmissions. I would seriously like to see what
    would be involved in converting our 63 Lark 6 cyl. w/ 3-speed manual to
    a latter type 4-speed OD as was used in mid 70s Ford and Chrysler products or ideally a more current T5 5 speed. What I am thinking is
    that if a person knew something of the bolt pattern differences
    between these three different types of transmission, a person could tell which would be the more feasible swap. Recently someone on E-bay
    had a mid 70s Ford 4-speed overdrive that sold for under $300. which
    included the clutch, bell housing, and shipping. We had a 4-speed
    overdrive in a 77 Dodge Aspen wagon years ago, and at the time I was told that all Chrysler did was take some Hi-Performance 4-speed and
    install a taller 4th gear,so there was a wide space between 3rd
    gear and 4th gear. It was a very good highway gearing in 4th gear
    though. Does anyone know if these types of transmission are similar
    to Studebaker's Lay-Out?...Waydon

SINCE you have an OHV six... I would look for a HD 3sp or 3/OD transmission from a TAXI,Police, or other HD-Type Stude. What you want is the adapter plate and bellhousing that Studebaker used to mate a V8 transmission to the OHV six cylinder.
    THEN,... you may be able to install the T5.. as there are adapters etc available to bolt them to Studebaker V8's.

I don't know who would have the engineering drawings from Studebaker for the Borg-Warner transmissions.

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
    Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

It is called a Single rail OD used in early 80's Mustangs and Capri's. Built by Tremec for Ford. Same bolt pattern as the 58-64 T86's but you have to put the throw out bearing retainer in a lathe and cut the register down from 4.850" down to Studes 4.680" and an adapter pilot bearing. And of course go to a hydraulic TO Bearing.

Comment

I used one of chrysler's manual four speed transmissions in my GT. It's an A833 w OD. I used the original driveshaft without cutting it. Car was originally an automatic. ButI also used the 360 SBCr motor.

Comment

Have you tried a search here? Transmission swaps have been discussed every way imaginable.

thnx, jack vines.

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

Working...
          X