Cruiser's last hurrah!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruiser's last hurrah!

I wanted to drive this '61 Cruiser one last time before I disabled it. With the rear seat cushion for a bench and a lift strap for a backrest, the "cockpit" was ready.
    I ran long battery cables into the cabin and had the battery sitting on the floor, next to me.

I give this 1961 Studebaker Cruiser one last fling before I remove the body from the chassis and reduce it all to parts.

Closed course - professional driver![:0]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Looks like the welcome wagon from the airport to the reception at a tropic island Resort Even a guide in an Hawiian shirt.

How do you guys change gear with 'three-on-the-tree' on the right hand side[:0]. I'd get all dyslexic....

Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia

Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Biggs, from watching the video I gather that the Cruiser was equipped with one long seat belt. You do give a new meaning to the term seat belt. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Bob that looked like fun, how fast were you going, I had no sound, but from the trees going past you were moving nice, Richard Poe and Ted had better watch out here come "farmer Bob"

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
        canbstudebakers-

]
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

I was havin' a blast! Probably hit 75 or so. That dead end stretch of our road has just been redone - after 30+ years of county neglect. No traffic to worry about - save for the occassional tractor or dirt biker.[|)]

Heh - I might could'a been a bit faster but my seat kept sliding aft and I couldn't quite hold the pedal to the floorboards![:0]

BTW, I couldn't resist taking another spin in the evening. I tried to get the wife to join me, but she found some excuse not to. Might have been best, given she'd have had to straddle the battery and cables.[:X][:0][:I]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

With all of that weight gone, I'll wager that it would get in the high 12's

Jamie McLeod
            Hope Mills, NC
            Jamie McLeod
            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
            1958 Commander "Christine"
            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
            1955 Commander Sedan
            1964 Champ
            1960 Lark

Comment

Man thats the greatest thing I've seen on youtube in awhile.
              I'm glad you didn't put music to the video. Hearing the motor and the other creaks and moans was terrific.
              Russ
              quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I wanted to drive this '61 Cruiser one last time before I disabled it. With the rear seat cushion for a bench and a lift strap for a backrest, the "cockpit" was ready.
              I ran long battery cables into the cabin and had the battery sitting on the floor, next to me.

I give this 1961 Studebaker Cruiser one last fling before I remove the body from the chassis and reduce it all to parts.

Closed course - professional driver![:0]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1963 Cruiser
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
              53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
              57 SH (project)
              60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
              53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
              57 SH (project)
              60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Bob, you failed to make the proper hand signals when executing the right turn into your driveway. Please be more careful - you could be cited for that!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Nice!

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

What a video! That was great. I know it was fun.

Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Hah! Thanks for the advice, Clark. On that last full throttle take-off, you can see I a darn near lost it! Partly because I was clutching the A-pillar with my left hand for stability.[}]

Russ, I'd hoped that with the camera mounted to the rear panel (professionally executed with two big welding clamps[B)]), we'd be able to hear that glorious V8 snarl thru the whole drive. I didn't think about the wind noise tho. I'm wondering if a cloth glove slipped over the mic aperture would quell the wind niusance.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1963 Cruiser
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President two door

Comment

What a trip.
                        Frank van Doorn
                        Omaha, Ne.
                        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Great Video Bob - too much fun! [8D] I dunno about scrappin' her though... looks like she'd be a daily driver in some locales.

<h5>Mark
                          '57 Transtar Deluxe
                          Vancouver Island Chapter
                          http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
                          '66 Commander

Comment

LOL Bob,too much fun. Reminds me of the scene in "Planes Trains and automoblies" where the cop stops John Candy and Steve Martin in that burned out convetable and says"Do you think this car is safe to be on the road?"

Comment

Great video, Bob. Looks like you were enjoying yourself. The old cruiser sounds good, too.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                              X