Another grand Stude weekend...PIX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another grand Stude weekend...PIX

Four car events in two days, and some of the first real summer weather we've yet seen in southern Ontario in '09...Last weekend was a good 'un!

First event was an SDC Hamilton Chapter display of Studes on Saturday at the Grimsby Museum during the town's Festival Of The Forty. Grimsby's just east of Hamilton on the way to St.Catharines. We gathered the cars and trucks on the museum's lawn under some shade trees...a really nice relaxing little cruise-in that happened to be all-Stude.

En route I paused for a pic of my Lark with her birthplace in the background...

58 Commander, with the Museum (and my Lark) in the background

Chapter past-prez Paul Cronkwright's 63 Wagonaire now sports a neat-looking louvered hood

Current prez Barry Leppan's 64 Daytona HT gets underway

Together at last! Both 66 Cruisers in the chapter had never been seen together before...

This very sharp 56 Transtar was one of three pickups in the lineup

Later the same day was the weekly cruise sponsored by a diner near Paris, Ontario (just a few hundred yards from where that 59 Lark hulk is). Someday we're going to have a full Chapter "muster" at that cruise...if the owners of these two Studes have their way! On this lovely Saturday, my Lark and Jan and Shirley Kus' 51 Champion were the total Stude contingent...among about 200 vehicles.

Next day was a show co-sponsored by the Ancaster Optimists Club and the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum. Held on the Museum's ramp at Munro Airport in Mt.Hope, just south of Hamilton, this cruise-in, which it is hoped will become annual, drew over 300 vehicles on a toasty warm Sunday. Eight Studebakers were among them, six of which were SDC vehicles.

North side of the CWH hangar, looking a bit Machine Age, and matched handsomely by the 1937 Studebaker Dictator in the foreground...

Nice 51 Commander Starlight was new to me; came in from Woodstock ON

55 President and 64 Daytona HT, both Hamilton Chapter cars (Cliff Tattersall and Bob "2R5" Barrick respectively)

That evening, another cruise, the weekly Sunday Peggy Sue's Cruise at a Rona lumber store on Rymal Road in south Hamilton. Here's my Lark, looking shinier than she used to after a turn with that little polisher I won at the Economy Run!
    Last edited by Steve T; 04-08-2012, 10:38 AM.

Great pics! I really like your little Lark. The 2 and 4 door sedans were what the Lark was all about (IMHO).

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Nice photos, indeed.
      1) I LOVE the color on your Lark.
      2) Barry Leppan has an R-powered Daytona to go with his beautiful white R-Hawk? As the kids in my class would yell, LUCKEEEEE!

Andy
      62 GT

Andy
      62 GT

Comment

Hi Dick--

Thanks much! If you like my Lark, you'll love Al Wilson's car, another 62, seen at the CWH event. This one just turned over 9000 miles since new, and looks like a recent restoration...but isn't, having spent most of its first 40 years in indoor storage!

Andy R--

Thanks for the compliment re the hue of my Lark. It isn't original, but I, too, like it a lot--it was one of the selling points that led me to pick this one (over, say, the Pepto-pink 63 4dr I was checking at the same time!)...The shade, which seems to have been matched to the interior paint during a past refurb, is slightly lighter than, but very similar to, 1960 Gulfstream Blue. (The car was originally a Canada-only shade called simply "Metallic Blue", which was quite a bit paler than what's on the car now.)

And yeah, our Chapter prez does have two "cars to covet". The Hawk, especially, which was completed pretty recently, is stunning...

S.

Comment

Great pics as usual Steve!

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island Chapter
          http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

Thanks for sharing such great pictures! Looks like it was all a lot of fun.

I sure like the look of the grille on the '66s. The single headlamps look perfect with that arrangement. The '64-5 grille always looks... wrong with singles. Both of those Cruisers look beautiful.

Steve, your Lark is a '62 right? I really like that year a lot.[:X] My favourite of the Larks. Though, those '63 Cruisers are really nice... and the Wagonaires... and the '63-4 Champs... Aw heck! I like all of them.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

you should add a CB radio in that beautiful lark, turn to channel 3 and maybe you can get a up close photo! [)] [)]

ChopStu

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Outstanding story and pix - thanks!

Chris Pile
                Editor: The Studebaker Special
                The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chris Pile

Outstanding story and pix - thanks!

Chris Pile
                  Editor: The Studebaker Special
                  What a weekend indeed! I love the louvered hood on that wagon. Let's see I have an extra hood for the Champ......ummmmm

Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Really nice pictures and story. You guys have some super cars and are getting them out where the people are. This kind of repoprt makes me itch to get one of my Studebakers on the road again.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
                    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Very nice photos. Would make a good article for a TW color issue, eh? Lots of great cars, and I don't think I've ever seen two '66s together before (heck, I've only ever seen one in person!).

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                      '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Awesome pictures Steve, that was a great event, all those people walking up from the Festival Of The Forty. And showbizkid, the only '66 I had ever seen was the black one, saw it once a year every year for 5 years, untill I bought it, I thought it was the only one in the club untill the blue Cruiser parked next to mine. On another note, I barely made it home, half way home from Grimsby on the highway, the temp gauge pined as far as it would go, turned the heater on and it droped alittle, got home and left a huge puddle of coolant on the road...theres always something else for me to fix, thats the joy of driving an old car, I love it

Eric

Eric Harnett
                        1966 Cruiser
                        Hamilton Ontario
                        Hamilton Chapter
                        Eric Harnett
                        1966 Cruiser
                        Hamilton Ontario
                        Hamilton Chapter

Comment

Steve,I really liked your pics,especially the 2 66 Cruisers,I also have a 66
                          Cruiser the same colour,so there are 3 in the Hamilton Chapter,mine is looking for a new home RM

Ray Martin

Comment

Clunker--

The 62s are my favourites too, now...originally I was looking for a 65 Daytona Sport Sedan (1965 being my own "YOM", of course), but found what is now my 62 and really took a liking to its mix of 60s mechanicals and 50s feel to the interior. And I have a thing for 2dr post cars, too. (To this day I have only ever seen two 62 Lark 2dr post cars: mine, and a rat rod in SB during this year's ZM there).

4961--

Hee hee! (Sadly even if I could get through the truck gate at Bunge, there's still a railway yard between that and the Stude plant. One can get much closer to the other side along Ferrie Street/Mars Avenue etc, but still not right up to the door--still there--where the cars exited final assembly. I'd love to see a one-off, all-Stude cruise in the old pre-delivery lot sometime...)

Joe--

Ooo, a louvered hood would look great on a Champ. I can find out from Paul C who it was did the very nice louver job on his Wag's hood, if you like...

52--

Good...get one goin'![8D]

Eric--

Yikes...well that explains the absence of your Cruiser at all the cruises this week! Glad you're putting a good face on the circumstance. Course being a mech yourself helps enormously, eh. As I think I mentioned at Grimsby, I don't really worry about Betty the 62 overheating, since the temp gauge doesn't work...[]

Ray--

Hm! I knew you had that nice green 66 Daytona, but not a Cruiser of the same vintage. We should gather all the local 66s together sometime (including the "quasi-66" squad car)...

Following on from last weekend I've made three more cruises and a monthly chapter meeting; tonight's cruise (Pier 4 Park) was cut short by a violent T-storm that rolled through around 645pm. Drove the Lark home in teeming rain. I swear she actually runs better when it's wet out! Last night, weather for Mapleview was lovely, turnout good (albeit including rather too many late models for my taste), nine Studes on site being a slightly above average showing of our favourite marque...

S.

Comment

Steve , here's the one Ray was talking about but it no longer belongs to Ray after today But is still in the Hamilton club

[IMG]
                              Home of the Fried Green Tomato
                              "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
                              1964 Daytona HT
                              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
                              X