Champ truck, filling the gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Champ truck, filling the gas tank

On my Champ, everytime I fill the truck with gas, it will kick the pump off once or twice well before being full, spitting a good bit of gas out each time. I've gotten used to it, learing to fill very slowly and holding the pump nozzle 'just so', minimizing both teh number of times it kicks off, and the amount spilled. I also stand well to the side.

Well today, it happened: for the first time in many years, my shoes got a gas bath.

Surely all Champs don't do this, do they? What is the fix?

Ron Dame
    '63 Champ
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Dont know Ron, I just check the gas gauge before getting out and calculate number of gallons I will need to fill it up, and go real slow when I get close. IF I was really ambitious, I find a brand x tank and filler tube assembly, to mount in approximately same position with the filler neck etc coming out of the bed side ala many later brand x trucks. Its just a feature of the design, and the same thing happens on my 5E13 C-Cab.

3E38
    4E2
    4E28
    5E13
    7E7
    8E7
    8E12
    8E28

59 Lark
    etc

Comment

I wasn't too clear: It'll happen even early in filling, even within the first couple of gallons in an empty tank, unless I fill REAL slow.

quote:Originally posted by Transtar60

Dont know Ron, I just check the gas gauge before getting out and calculate number of gallons I will need to fill it up, and go real slow when I get close. IF I was really ambitious, I find a brand x tank and filler tube assembly, to mount in approximately same position with the filler neck etc coming out of the bed side ala many later brand x trucks. Its just a feature of the design, and the same thing happens on my 5E13 C-Cab.

3E38
      4E2
      4E28
      5E13
      7E7
      8E7
      8E12
      8E28

59 Lark
      etc
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

I have an inappropriate (wrong year) tank in my 55 sedan, It wants to spit at me, too. I've found that if I lean the input hose nozzle over to the left real hard the incoming fuel and the outgoing air pass each other at the constriction. Also, I have to listen for the change of sound when the tank is full, else it will ploop allover everything.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        ....On the road, again....
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

It is all about VENTING! We NEVER do that here, so I doubt anyone will understand! Lol!

Do any of you remember the old 1950's GM cars that had a small flat tube going down into the tank along the inside of the filler tube?

I think that is what is missing here, the tank is vented through the cap, so there is no way for air to escape the tank when displaced with more gasoline, so it pushes the gas out in order to escape!
          If you fill the tube with gas, the air has nowhere to go! [:0]

StudeRich
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

There's probably a professional way of doing this, but how about inserting a small tube down the filler tube to just below the top of the connection between the filler tube and tank? Would work as a vent.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

quote:Its just a feature of the design, and the same thing happens on my 5E13 C-Cab.
              A feature? Is that like in the old days at IBM when a customer complained about a bug they they would explain it wasn't a bug, it was a feature?

I've had the same experience... I wonder if you ran a tube down the inside of the filler to allow the tank to vent while filling that would fix it?

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
              http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JeffDeWitt

quote:Its just a feature of the design, and the same thing happens on my 5E13 C-Cab.
                A feature? Is that like in the old days at IBM when a customer complained about a bug they they would explain it wasn't a bug, it was a feature?

I've had the same experience... I wonder if you ran a tube down the inside of the filler to allow the tank to vent while filling that would fix it?

Jeff DeWitt

geesh, I feel worthless......

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Why Bob? We both had the same bright idea at the same time. Your post wasn't there when I started writing mine... if it had been I would have said something different.

I wonder what is different from 1960? I can't believe that Studebaker would have shipped vehicles with such an annoying "feature".

Guess part of it is very few people actually pumped their own gas, I also wonder how common self shutting off pumps were in those days.

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt

Comment

Maybe its all in the filling technique. I pump by holding the handle the whole time, never put it on the " auto fill". Most pumps have nozzles with a shield to prevent vapors from escaping,unlike the old nozzles, this probably doesn't help when the filler is also the vent. .
                    Actually never had much of a problem with this, maybe there is a restriction in Ron's tank or filler pipe.

First time I filled up the 5E13's tank, the hose clamp was loose at the pipe end nearest the tank, gas ran out of the truck onto the ground.
                    Big mess.

3E38
                    4E2
                    4E28
                    5E13
                    7E7
                    8E7
                    8E12
                    8E28

59 Lark
                    etc

Comment

Not that I've put any gas in it lately but my Champ behaves exactly the same way as Ron's.

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt

Comment

Ron
                        Check your filler pipe behind the seat.
                        I was lucky the get 10 litres worth of fuel in 10 minutes and it was getting worse.
                        I checked the filler pipe and it had colapsed restricting the flow of fuel.
                        Put a new one on and presto, 50 litres in a couple of minutes with no clicking off.
                        pb

Comment

You know, now that you mention it my rubber filler pipe has a bit of a kink in it, it's always been that way so I assumed that's how it was supposed to be.

Thamks! (something else for the shopping list!)

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt

Comment

Jeff
                            Yes it is S shaped but over the years the rubber loses its strength and colapses.
                            For months I wondered why the fller neck was slowly retreating into the body. A new rubber piece fixed all those problems.
                            You would think they would last more than 48 years LOL.
                            pb

Comment

Larks with the center rear filler are worse. If you want to compare shoe baths...

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                              X