SDC Hamilton Economy Run pix (finally)...9 Aug 09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDC Hamilton Economy Run pix (finally)...9 Aug 09

After several abortive tries to get these onto CD...here's the promised coverage of the Hamilton Chapter's '09 economy run. Menacing weather leading up to the event kept numbers lower than '08, but a good time was still had by all. Bob and Joanne Easton had worked out the route, which ran from Grimsby through the outskirts of St.Catharines, then south and west through the countryside, finishing at a pub in Caledonia where we dined and awards in the three divisions (Stude 8, Stude 6, Brand X) were handed out. Just as the run was beginning, Caroline Willows and Allen Anderson, who had courageously arrived under stormy skies in a Lark convertible, defiantly put the top down...and the sun promptly came out! Caroline and Allen won the Stude 8 division; Thelma and Stu Chapman in Thelma's little Dodge Caliber won Brand X; and I triumphed among the Stude sixes...but I'd better have, since I had the only six-cylinder Stude in the run...

At the meet-up at Gateway Niagara in Grimsby; quite a bit of lightning was still visible at this stage. 08 Caliber, 64 Daytona HT, and about two thirds of the attendees are in this shot...

Melancholy remains of an 1812 stone house that burned down in 1950, since made into a memorial to the DeCou family whose house it had been. The ruin is on Decewsville Road, Decew being the Anglicised version of DeCou...

Stopping briefly at a quaint general store and gas station in Wellandport, here are the two Larks that won the Stude-engined divisions. My 62 Lark VI Deluxe is on the left, Caroline and Allen's 63 Lark Daytona V8 droptop on the right.

Bob and Joanne's 64 Daytona 4dr at Caledonia at the conclusion of the run. I've ridden in the back of this car a few times and am always struck by how terrifically roomy it is.

The division winners by the St.George Arms Pub fireplace (which BTW wasn't lit...nor did it need to be on what was a toasty-warm day). As can be seen, the "trophies" were neat little Simoniz buffers. By the time of the quartet of car events I attended the following weekend, Betty the 62 Lark was a good deal shinier than before! (Pix to follow...natch.)

Cheers all

S.

Thanks for the pix and the post!

Chris Pile
    Editor: The Studebaker Special
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Neat! I like the idea of an economy run. What were the acual mileage figures for the Studes? LH

"I'm allergic to small block Chevys."
      Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Superb!
        Congrats to all!
        Jeff[8D]

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
        X