Lark Dash Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark Dash Lights

Does anyone know of an alterative to the # 1445 bulb?? I need one a little brighter. Is there one????

Hal W. [8D]

I use 57's in my Hawk and Lark.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

If you have room to get the larger #57 bulb in without melting something, go for it! [:0]

Isn't the 1445 the smaller glass bulb type the same as the #53? [?]

If so, those are for switch lighting on '63-'66 Lark types, and Trans. indicator light, turn sig. dash indicators, High beam etc. NOT the Instruments. [:0]

If your Lark has the Instr. light dimmer on the Headlight switch or under the dash, the rheostat may be going bad or it is not turned up to high.
      1959 to 1963 Larks and '64-'66 Lark Types have many differences through the years, you don't say what you have.

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I think I tried #1816 lamps for my 1960 instruments. They were much brighter. They are a little different size..longer, but work well.

Comment

For those who asked this is a 1960 Lark which has NO dash lite dimmer it is wired thru light switch so is bright only. Thanks guys.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Hal W

Does anyone know of an alterative to the # 1445 bulb?? I need one a little brighter. Is there one????

Hal W. [8D]
            Yes, the 53 is a 1cp bulb at a slightly lower voltage than the 0.7cp 1445. Voltage is 13.5 for the 53, and 14.4 for the 1445. That in itself will make the lights a little brighter. Another bulb of the exact same dimensions is the 363, which is rated at 2cp. It is kind of an oddball, but should be available at NAPA, although they may have to order it. Hope this helps.

LH

"I'm allergic to small block Chevys."
            Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Lark Hunter

Yes, the 53 is a 1cp bulb at a slightly lower voltage than the 0.7cp 1445. Voltage is 13.5 for the 53, and 14.4 for the 1445.
              Isn't that a bit ridiculous rating bulbs at DIFFERENT voltages? I have no idea who is responsible for those numbers, but it makes no sense to NOT rate all 12 Volt bulbs at the SAME voltage!

The rated voltage is 12V, the average running voltage is 13.5, so what good is a bulb that, to reach it's rated candlepower has to have more voltage than normal regulators will allow?
              Does this actually make sense to anyone? [:0]

StudeRich
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

quote:Originally posted by Lark Hunter

Yes, the 53 is a 1cp bulb at a slightly lower voltage than the 0.7cp 1445. Voltage is 13.5 for the 53, and 14.4 for the 1445.
                Isn't that a bit ridiculous rating bulbs at DIFFERENT voltages? I have no idea who is responsible for those numbers, but it makes no sense to NOT rate all 12 Volt bulbs at the SAME voltage!

The rated voltage is 12V, the average running voltage is 13.5, so what good is a bulb that, to reach it's rated candlepower has to have more voltage than normal regulators will allow?
                Does this actually make sense to anyone? [:0]

StudeRich
                Increasing operating voltage of the bulb results in increased life. A bulb designed for 14 volts will last about 3.5 times longer than one designed for 12.8 volts when both are operated at say, 13.5 volts. This makes said bulbs useful in difficult to replace applications such as... dash lights. Maybe I was being too technical, so lets just say one bulb is brighter than the other, I may be a dim bulb, and leave it at that
                LH

"I'm allergic to small block Chevys."
                Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal W

For those who asked this is a 1960 Lark which has NO dash lite dimmer it is wired thru light switch so is bright only. Thanks guys.

Hal, you can try the bulbs that I mentioned. They were suggested in Turning Wheels awhile back and work well in my 1960. I also upgraded to the '61 light switch so my lights didn't go out suddenly. That's not much fun. The dimmer is much nicer to have as well. They will never be like a new car brightness-wise, but mine are now tolerable...except the clock. It still is worthless, positioned in the rear of the housing.

Comment

I use 1816 bulbs as they will fit in most of the Stude instrument light sockets and they are considerably brighter than a 57 or 1895 bulb. Bud

Comment

Working...
                    X