Looking for a Stude Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Stude Truck

I'm fairly new to the group and I've finally decided what type of Stude that I want. I am looking for a 1957-1959 Transtar pickup, short bed with the V8 and floor shift. I am looking for something that is running or very easily made to be, because I want to be able to drive it while I fix it up. This will be a rolling rebuild that I can use for chores in the meantime...

I really am looking for something that is stock, complete and not hacked. I live in Pittsburgh, PA and don't have a problem driving a few hours for what I'm looking for...as long as I can drive it home.

Thanks so much,
    Jeff

Restonut

Not only try the forum but also Ebay and Searchtempest.com which searches Craigslist.

I'll bet you'll find what you want between those three.

Bob

Comment

There is a really choice one in the new TW, located in the San Antonio area. Price $23,000, but claims that it is worth $30K, so it is a real steal at that price.lol! pix at [u]www.classyautos.com</u>

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

Jeff, your state has an excellent and very active state chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. If you have not already...join the club, go to some meets, make friends, and be patient. You should find what you are looking for. Two of the best swap meets occur in the Keystone state every year. One in the fall in Reedsville, and in March in York. Welcome to the forum and good luck. Trucks are fun!

John Clary
        Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
        SDC member since 1975
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Jeff,
          Have you had any contact with SDC members in your area? Allegheny Region Chapter, Keystone Region Chapter?
          One of the best Stude Restoration facilities is just east of you in Blairsville, Westmoreland Restorations. Networking is the key.

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

here is something close to what you seek:

Comment

Jeff - welcome to the Forum. Some thoughts to share (IMHO):

1. Buy a truck in as good of shape as you can afford... you should be able to get a really nice truck for $10 to $12K. A good running truck for $5 to $6K. Studes tend to be cheaper than a comparable Ch*v or F**d.

2. If you plan to do any highway driving, I would strongly suggest you consider a truck with an O/D transmission. Driving at hwy speeds with a 3 or 4 spd w/o overdrive takes away a lot of the "fun". Keep in mind that most Borg warner OD transmissions in Stude trucks are 3 spd. column shifters with an overdrive attached to the "tail". [^]

3. If you have not already done so, join the SDC ($19.95 for your first year) which gets you a subscription to Turning Wheels - an excellent place to find a good Stude Truck for sale. You can even join online: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/aboutsdc.asp [8D]

If you have not already done so, also check out the Studebaker Truck Forum website - found here: http://studetrucks.tripod.com/
              They also have an online chat page and most Stude Truck guys that are online, show up there from time to time.

Last - Good Luck! Transtar's are also my favorite and they are "tons" of fun! [^][8D]

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar Deluxe
              Vancouver Island Chapter
              http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander

Comment

I have a 58 long bed 3/4 ton for sale. It's a parts truck but very rust free. It's a So Cal vehicle from El Centro CA. Needs: New cab (was hit left side and caved in severely), gas tank (I can supply one of those), some fender work on LR fender. Have also, original big six engine, orig automatic trans (with 2 pc driveshaft), and orig transtar radio. Extra front fiberglass shell in good shape. Most all sheetmetal needs some attention but it all is repairable.
                Was going to part it out due to storage space. Make me a reasonable offer and it yours.
                Regards
                Ken Michael

Comment

sweet AZ body closes today: ebay# 150365784862

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

Thanks for all the great info. I'll be calling to join the Allegheny Stude chapter tomorrow!

Jeff

Comment

patpres13@gmail.com

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

Jeff, welcome to SDC & the forum , Sonja & I are members of the Allegheny Region, great group of people & we are growing! If you have any problems making contact let me know...... we are all here to help one another.

Comment

This nice 1-tn just popped up on ebay in NE: 170373806140

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

Working...
                          X