PDA

View Full Version : Last Packard

avantilover
01-08-2007, 02:28 AM
Was just wondering what happened to the last Packard produced i.e. "real" Packard in 1956, does anyone know?

John Clements
Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
Lockleys South Australia

BobPalma
01-08-2007, 05:32 AM
:) John: The last "real" Packard was a Patrician sedan. The car is documented and survives in good condition in the hands of a Packard Automobile Classics [The Packard Club] member. You might visit the club's website and secure more information: The car has been written up, with a famous photo of it coming off the Detroit assembly line surrounded by workers, in several issues of their monthly magazine, The Cormorant News Bulletin. :D BP

BobPalma
01-08-2007, 05:32 AM
:) John: The last "real" Packard was a Patrician sedan. The car is documented and survives in good condition in the hands of a Packard Automobile Classics [The Packard Club] member. You might visit the club's website and secure more information: The car has been written up, with a famous photo of it coming off the Detroit assembly line surrounded by workers, in several issues of their monthly magazine, The Cormorant News Bulletin. :D BP

56H-Y6
01-08-2007, 07:10 AM
Hi Bob
Thanks for the information that the last Detroit Packard is extant. Where on the PAC webpage would I find it? I have seen the photo of the car coming off the line but no recent information on it.

RE: the last South Bend Packard:
Out of curiousity, I ask Richard Quinn if he would seek out the production order sometime at the archive, he did so and published the information in TW, August 2002 issue.

One of 15 Packards assembled on July 25, 1958, it was serial no. 58L-8134, Body no. 905, Engine no. 2123, a solid Mountain Blue four door sedan, manual shift with overdrive, options: whitewalls, Climatizer, manual rear deck antenna and push button radio, delivery destination unknown.

The description suggest an ordered car for a specific customer. I hope that it is still out there quietly hiding in a rural, small-town garage in a part of the country where rust isn't such a problem.

Steve

56H-Y6
01-08-2007, 07:10 AM
Hi Bob
Thanks for the information that the last Detroit Packard is extant. Where on the PAC webpage would I find it? I have seen the photo of the car coming off the line but no recent information on it.

RE: the last South Bend Packard:
Out of curiousity, I ask Richard Quinn if he would seek out the production order sometime at the archive, he did so and published the information in TW, August 2002 issue.

One of 15 Packards assembled on July 25, 1958, it was serial no. 58L-8134, Body no. 905, Engine no. 2123, a solid Mountain Blue four door sedan, manual shift with overdrive, options: whitewalls, Climatizer, manual rear deck antenna and push button radio, delivery destination unknown.

The description suggest an ordered car for a specific customer. I hope that it is still out there quietly hiding in a rural, small-town garage in a part of the country where rust isn't such a problem.

Steve

BobPalma
01-08-2007, 07:21 AM
:) Steve: I'm not sure where it would be on the PAC website, just look around! I don't know the extent to which they put older Coromorant News Bulletins on their site, but it's in the CNB somewhere. [8D] BP

BobPalma
01-08-2007, 07:21 AM
:) Steve: I'm not sure where it would be on the PAC website, just look around! I don't know the extent to which they put older Coromorant News Bulletins on their site, but it's in the CNB somewhere. [8D] BP

Randy_G
01-08-2007, 08:16 PM
I had this photo in my collection, I thought I would share it with you guys. This is the LAST Packard built at East Grand Boulevard Plant Detroit MI. The dont think there is a photo of the LAST 1956 Packard built at the Conner plant because no one knew that it was going to be the last one. Everyone thought that for the 1957 Model year everyone would come back to work. As you all know that didn't happen that way. THe Packard name moved to South Bend, IN.

http://www.automotivehistoryonline.com/scan0003-1.jpg

Randy_G
www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com
http://www.automotivehistoryonline.com/small59.jpg

Randy_G
01-08-2007, 08:16 PM
I had this photo in my collection, I thought I would share it with you guys. This is the LAST Packard built at East Grand Boulevard Plant Detroit MI. The dont think there is a photo of the LAST 1956 Packard built at the Conner plant because no one knew that it was going to be the last one. Everyone thought that for the 1957 Model year everyone would come back to work. As you all know that didn't happen that way. THe Packard name moved to South Bend, IN.

http://www.automotivehistoryonline.com/scan0003-1.jpg

Randy_G
www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com
http://www.automotivehistoryonline.com/small59.jpg

lstude
01-08-2007, 08:24 PM
I think they probably did know when the last 56 Packard rolled off the Conner plant, but I don't think they would be smiling like that!

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l288/lstude/Mein64Daytonasm.jpghttp://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l288/lstude/52inyardsm-1.jpg

lstude
01-08-2007, 08:24 PM
I think they probably did know when the last 56 Packard rolled off the Conner plant, but I don't think they would be smiling like that!

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l288/lstude/Mein64Daytonasm.jpghttp://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l288/lstude/52inyardsm-1.jpg

Randy_G
01-08-2007, 09:53 PM
OK Leonard I went back and read the chapter of my Packard book, "Packard - A history of the motor car and the company" According to the book the LAST day of production was June 25th 1956, twenty-four Clippers and eighteen Packards were through the body drop and completed. There is no mention which was last a Packard or a Clipper and even thou there are hundreds of photos in this book there is not a photo of the last 1956 Production Packard in the book. The last Detroit built Packard was a protype called "Black Bess" Just in case anyone wants to know where this car is today. It was detroyed on orders from Curtis-Wright. There is a photo of it but its really a ugly car.

Randy_G
South Bend or Bust 2007!
www.automotivehistoryonline.com

Randy_G
01-08-2007, 09:53 PM
OK Leonard I went back and read the chapter of my Packard book, "Packard - A history of the motor car and the company" According to the book the LAST day of production was June 25th 1956, twenty-four Clippers and eighteen Packards were through the body drop and completed. There is no mention which was last a Packard or a Clipper and even thou there are hundreds of photos in this book there is not a photo of the last 1956 Production Packard in the book. The last Detroit built Packard was a protype called "Black Bess" Just in case anyone wants to know where this car is today. It was detroyed on orders from Curtis-Wright. There is a photo of it but its really a ugly car.

Randy_G
South Bend or Bust 2007!
www.automotivehistoryonline.com

lstude
01-08-2007, 10:05 PM
I have read through that book also, but I think there is more information on the Packard Club web site. Here is what Bob Palma posted earlier:

John: The last "real" Packard was a Patrician sedan. The car is documented and survives in good condition in the hands of a Packard Automobile Classics [The Packard Club] member. You might visit the club's website and secure more information: The car has been written up, with a famous photo of it coming off the Detroit assembly line surrounded by workers, in several issues of their monthly magazine, The Cormorant News Bulletin. BP

A friend of mine is also in the Packard Club and I think I have seen the picture Bob is refering to. I might be mistaken, but I think by June of 56, everybody knew that was the end of Packard production in Detroit.

lstude
01-08-2007, 10:05 PM
I have read through that book also, but I think there is more information on the Packard Club web site. Here is what Bob Palma posted earlier:

John: The last "real" Packard was a Patrician sedan. The car is documented and survives in good condition in the hands of a Packard Automobile Classics [The Packard Club] member. You might visit the club's website and secure more information: The car has been written up, with a famous photo of it coming off the Detroit assembly line surrounded by workers, in several issues of their monthly magazine, The Cormorant News Bulletin. BP

A friend of mine is also in the Packard Club and I think I have seen the picture Bob is refering to. I might be mistaken, but I think by June of 56, everybody knew that was the end of Packard production in Detroit.

StudeDave57
01-09-2007, 12:40 AM
How interesting that the last '58 would be body number 905 when they built like 1200 of those sedans- 'ya just gotta love the 'order' in which they did business in that South Bend factory!!! [:0] ;) [:o)] :D
And that car sounds like one I wouldn't mind havin', either!!!
Who has it... anyone, anyone???

StudeDave [8D]
V/P San Diego County SDC
San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
'57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
'57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
'57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
'58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
'65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

StudeDave57
01-09-2007, 12:40 AM
How interesting that the last '58 would be body number 905 when they built like 1200 of those sedans- 'ya just gotta love the 'order' in which they did business in that South Bend factory!!! [:0] ;) [:o)] :D
And that car sounds like one I wouldn't mind havin', either!!!
Who has it... anyone, anyone???

StudeDave [8D]
V/P San Diego County SDC
San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
'57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
'57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
'57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
'58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
'65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

8E45E
01-09-2007, 04:07 AM
The last Detroit built Packard was a protype called "Black Bess" Just in case anyone wants to know where this car is today. It was detroyed on orders from Curtis-Wright. There is a photo of it but its really a ugly car.

You have to keep in mind Black Bess served its purpose as a development mule only. It was strictly to test the mehcanical underpinnings of what was supposed to be the upcoming 'real' '57 Packards that never were. According to a speech by the late Dick Teague in 1980, that car ran and handled just as good, or 'better' than a '56 with continual refinements that were made in the self levelling torsion bar suspension, transmission, etc. It was made to look close to what a '57 was going to be like to test things like engine cooling, wind noise, and other factors that may have affected reliability and handling. The 'real' ones were a lot better looking than Black Bess!!

Craig

8E45E
01-09-2007, 04:07 AM
The last Detroit built Packard was a protype called "Black Bess" Just in case anyone wants to know where this car is today. It was detroyed on orders from Curtis-Wright. There is a photo of it but its really a ugly car.

You have to keep in mind Black Bess served its purpose as a development mule only. It was strictly to test the mehcanical underpinnings of what was supposed to be the upcoming 'real' '57 Packards that never were. According to a speech by the late Dick Teague in 1980, that car ran and handled just as good, or 'better' than a '56 with continual refinements that were made in the self levelling torsion bar suspension, transmission, etc. It was made to look close to what a '57 was going to be like to test things like engine cooling, wind noise, and other factors that may have affected reliability and handling. The 'real' ones were a lot better looking than Black Bess!!

Craig

Bill Pressler
01-09-2007, 05:29 AM
Is it me, or does anybody else think that the older gentleman with the glasses, to the right of that last '54 Packard from East Grand, look to be Byers Burlingame, who was the last President of Studebaker in South Bend (through '67) and who had come from Packard, via the merger, to Studebaker?

Bill Pressler

Bill Pressler
01-09-2007, 05:29 AM
Is it me, or does anybody else think that the older gentleman with the glasses, to the right of that last '54 Packard from East Grand, look to be Byers Burlingame, who was the last President of Studebaker in South Bend (through '67) and who had come from Packard, via the merger, to Studebaker?

Bill Pressler

Studedude1961
01-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Bill I wondered the same thing. Mr. Burlingame had the unfortunate task of overseeing the closeout of Packard in Detroit in 1956 and as we all know also the closing of Studebaker Automotive in South Bend. Some books have called him, not unkindly, the undertaker. This photo sure looks like Mr. Burlingame.

Studedude1961
--1963 Cruiser

Studedude1961
01-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Bill I wondered the same thing. Mr. Burlingame had the unfortunate task of overseeing the closeout of Packard in Detroit in 1956 and as we all know also the closing of Studebaker Automotive in South Bend. Some books have called him, not unkindly, the undertaker. This photo sure looks like Mr. Burlingame.

Studedude1961
--1963 Cruiser

avantilover
01-10-2007, 01:02 AM
Thanks to all for their interesting replies.It seems that Packard was in trouble from the early post war years due to their inability to obtain steel supplies, in any case they made some beautiful cars and I hope to see some at our All-American day later this year.

Maybe it was wrong of Curtiss-Wright to close their production without giving 1957 a go, but they must have thought it wasn't financially viable.

John

John Clements
Lockleys South Australia

avantilover
01-10-2007, 01:02 AM
Thanks to all for their interesting replies.It seems that Packard was in trouble from the early post war years due to their inability to obtain steel supplies, in any case they made some beautiful cars and I hope to see some at our All-American day later this year.

Maybe it was wrong of Curtiss-Wright to close their production without giving 1957 a go, but they must have thought it wasn't financially viable.

John

John Clements
Lockleys South Australia

8E45E
01-10-2007, 03:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by avantilover

Recommended reading is the book, "Rise and fall of the Packard Motor Car Company" by James A. Ward. Has some great insight as to why Packard failed.

Craig

John

John Clements
Lockleys South Australia

8E45E
01-10-2007, 03:25 AM

Recommended reading is the book, "Rise and fall of the Packard Motor Car Company" by James A. Ward. Has some great insight as to why Packard failed.

Craig

John

John Clements
Lockleys South Australia

avantilover
01-11-2007, 12:59 AM
quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

Thanks, I'll get it when I'm more financially secure.

Craig

John

John Clements
Lockleys South Australia

John Clements
Lockleys South Australia

avantilover
01-11-2007, 12:59 AM

Thanks, I'll get it when I'm more financially secure.

Craig

John

John Clements
Lockleys South Australia

John Clements
Lockleys South Australia

8E45E
01-13-2007, 03:05 AM

Thanks, I'll get it when I'm more financially secure

Getting divorced?:D

Craig

8E45E
01-13-2007, 03:05 AM

Craig

avantilover
01-13-2007, 03:33 PM

Craig

No never married, just need to clear up my Visa account, spent too much on ebay buying old Studebaker ads and work doesn't pay much.

John Clements
Lockleys South Australia

avantilover
01-13-2007, 03:33 PM

Craig

No never married, just need to clear up my Visa account, spent too much on ebay buying old Studebaker ads and work doesn't pay much.

John Clements
Lockleys South Australia