Looking for an Avanti Gas Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for an Avanti Gas Door

I'm in search of an Avanti gas door. Does anyone have one that they would wish to sell. Send me an email if you do.

Jim Bradley
    Lewistown PA
    '78 Avanti II
    Jim Bradley
    Lake Monticello, VA
    '78 Avanti II
    sigpic

Jim

You haven't had the car a year, don't tell me you already messed up the gas door.

"I know nothing"

Sargent Schultz

Comment

No, Bill, nothing that bad.

One of the less attractive features of a '78 Avanti is the "locking gas door". The South Bend stylists chose to stick a lock in the cover, rather than use an internal latch. They apparently had a bunch of locks from their desk drawers that they weren't using, so they put them on the Avanti. REALLY ugly! They're on a par with the "Star Wars" W/S washer nozzles they used. Anyhow, I want to buy a gas door without a hole in it, then attempt to match the paint. I don't want to patch the hole in the existing door, in case I can't match the paint well enough.

Jim Bradley
      Lewistown PA
      '78 Avanti II
      Jim Bradley
      Lake Monticello, VA
      '78 Avanti II
      sigpic

Comment

Be careful, removing the gas door can result in breaking the two studs that hold it on. Then you need to remove the interior panel, side glass, possibly rear glass ( recommended because the interior vinyl on the sail panel is glued under the weathersrip on rear glass ) to try to repair the broken studs.

On my '64, if I remember correctly, they are only 1/4" or maybe 10X24 and difficult to get to without removing the interior panel. Mine broke off but I had the interior out of the car. Even so, I had to JB weld two bolts onto the fiberglass although 12 years later I don't remember why I had to go through those gyrations but believe me if there was a simpler way I would have done it.

I was very careful when tightening the nuts because I didn't wan't to break them off. All went well then I walked into the open door while the car was in my garage, AFTER, I put the interior in. Somehow, with a needle nose pliers and more JB weld I got them epoxied back in.

Be careful...

ErnieR

On its way to a 15.097 Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Spring 2006.

Comment

Have an Avanti gas door from a '63 Avanti that was burnt, if you are interested. It should clean up and paint nicely. Need to find it though.

Comment

Working...
          X