Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie, but not new to Studebakers

Hi folks!
    Just found this forum. I've been a member of SDC since '80, but my Stude roots go back over half a century. One of my earliest memories is when the family '48 Champion 2 door was sold. This was in 1955, because my dad had bought a one-year-old yellow '54 Conestoga to replace it. I was 3. I guess I was pretty precocious car-wise at that early age because dad liked to quiz me about cars in front of his friends, and I knew the make of most by sight. I was naturally a Stude nut. In '59 or so dad bought a blue '56 1/2 ton Transtar which became his daily commuter. Mom drove the wagon, which blew the automatic in '60. It was replaced by a brand X.
    In early '61 dad came home all excited and took me by the North Hollywood Stude dealer used car lot (Phil Rausch Studebaker?) and pointed to the back row. "I bought that coupe" he said. It was a '54 Commander Starliner in Azure Green with a Lance Green top. There was a price on the windshield; $495. I loved that car, and wanted it when I became old enough to drive. Dad bought a new '64 Comet and sold both the truck and the Starliner. I begged him to save the car for me, but I was only 12. The new owner drove it away for $35. I still regret it.
    When I was 15, I bought my first car. I had no drivers license, so my future brother-in-law drove it home. It was a yellow/white '56 Clipper custom 4 door. Paid $50. Now that I think about it, it only had 80,000 on the odometer. It was straight, good original paint, and rust free . The Ultramatic worked fine in low, but started slamming back and forth in second (any guesses?). Also, the power steering worked fine in one direction only. It sat in the garage and I would start it and sit in it. The electric antenna was stuck down, so I got one station on the radio. This was when I first started appreciating that "old car smell".
    In 1969 I then dragged home a '56 Patrician, originally white/green, but now solid white, with the engine partially removed. The car was on the side of a gas station, and I paid $25 for it. I remember noticing that there was a green '58 Packard hardtop in the driveway of a house across the street from the station. I knew it was rare even then. That Packard was there for some years after. I always wanted to knock on the door and ask the owner to sell, but never did.
    The Clipper and Patrician never saw the road in my possession. The poor Clipper became my school of auto dismantling. A Packard guy bought them from me for $25 in 1970 because I had bought a '65 brand X.
    Fast forward to 1980. There was a blue '62 Daytona convertible (259 auto) on the lot where I worked. The owner, Billie H., had been a secretary on the Mr. Ed T.V. show and had bought the car thru the show. She said that all the execs were driving Avanti's and she wanted a convertible. I asked if the car was for sale, and she agreed to sell it to me for $1000. The car was in pretty good shape in '80 except for lots of parking lot dings and a caved-in right fender and door. She said a police car hit it, and she was never paid for the damage. I joined SDC and started restoration on the Daytona.
    Frost and French Studebaker/Packard had practically everything I needed right over the counter; new bumpers, fenders, trim, medallions, grille, taillights. Inexpensive too.
    One thing they didn't have was a right front fender. I started scouring the wrecking yards looking for one, and ended up buying a whole parts car for $300.
    I wish I had that parts car today. It was a '62 Daytona hardtop, white with black interior, 289 4bbl, 4-speed, hill-holder, spotlight, bumper tips, etc, etc,. An absolutely loaded car, dead of unknown causes. Looking back, I should have transferred the running gear into the convertible, especially the T-10, but I was (kinda still am) a real purist and didn't want to vary from the convertibles' build sheet. I stripped the parts car down to nothing but a shell and a rear axle and two tires to haul it away. There was a die-cast T/T on the trunk that I then thought was a dealer name tag. I took everything but the Twin Traction!!!

Welcome back to Studebakering Autocrat, I came back to Studebakers in July 05 after an absence of fourty-one years and I am loving it!!!

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, SK. You and I were probably perusing the Pick-a-Part yards of LA about the same time. It was in '83 that I first discovered them. I can remember being totally FLABBERGHASTED the first time I walked into their yard in Wilmington and seeing the makes segregated into their own areas and that there was a section JUST FOR Independents! There were more Studes in that section than Rammers or other stuff (occassionally a Kaiser or such)![:0][]
      The prices were CHEAP and you could even bargain with the cashiers if you didn't like the price they gave you and the guidelines for prices were generous to start with!
      I was buying stuff and turning it thru Stude and Rambler newsletters to folks around the globe. Then I struck a deal with a couple of regular vendors and it was just easier to sell the stuff to them - en masse - at a handsome markup and let them deal with the end customers.
      As you related about the 62 "parts car", there were MANY complete and unblemished Studes in the yards at that time. While they wouldn't sell the whole cars & trucks, the parts were cheap enough.

Anyway - welcome to our forum. You'll find there's quite an avid group of support here for the Stude sedans such as your Scotsman. It wasn't TOO long ago that everyone seemed totally entranced by the sportier offerings from Studebaker. Thankfully, that's changing.[^] Golden Hawks and Avantis are nice, but it was sedans and wagons that kept the doors open.

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Nice story. Welcome. It is interesting how so many of us had parallel lives. You should have gotten in on the threads a while back where forum members told how they got into Studebakers. I would like to see some pictures, if you have them.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Thanks, guys. Yes, I still haunt pick-a-part (last Friday) but the pickin's are mighty slim.
          Mr Biggs- You probably were competing with me for the Rambler parts, especially '65-6. Got a couple of factory Rambler AM/FM's back then for, what, 8 bucks apiece? I would buy stuff just to keep it from being crushed- still have a 63 Wagonaire tail lens that I bought 20 years ago just to save it.
          I'll try to scare up some photos and then face the daunting task of posting them.

Autocrat

Comment

quote:Originally posted by autocratI'll try to scare up some photos and then face the daunting task of posting them.
            Pretty simple actually, go to the sticky at the top of the page for guidance. You need to have the pictures on the 'net (use a free hosting service such as Photobucket). Once the picture is uploaded there, right click and select "open in new window". Once that is done, right click again, select properties, copy the URL and place it between the img's in the "mountain" button (4th from right) and preview. If all is right, the picture should appear!

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido
              [
              Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
              Gary - Good to see you "back"![^]
              Autocrat - Welcome to the Forum!

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar Deluxe
              Vancouver Island Chapter
              http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander

Comment

[?] Except for an edit, isn't this a 2-1/2 year old post? I wish Guido would check in every now and then, though.

Comment

I miss him, too.

This is why I don't like editing an old post. Ought to be a new post to lessen confusion.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

The last time I went to Pick your Part, I didn't find anything interesting and they had jacked up the prices considerably. The same thing has happened to Ecology auto parts around the corner from Pick Your Part. I've been going over there since the early 80's. Bud

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

I wish Guido would check in every now and then, though.
                      At least I get to talk to him now and again. He's doing OK, just cut down on his websites. Still posts semi-regularly on the Truck Forum. Go over and say hi!

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                      X