Throw out bearing for Champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throw out bearing for Champ

I have a 63 champ 8E5, inline six, 3speed no OD. I have been having an increasing loud noise when my clutch is puched in and shifting into gears. I have been told it is the throw out bearing which is making the noise. I have the SDI 2010 catalogue but have been unable to locate the part needed. Anyone with some expertise and could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. I do not have any real knowledge when it comes to the tranny so any other advice or help would be great. Thanks

Open your SI catalog to page 200, look about 1/3 of the way down on the right side, pick the one you want and give them a call Monday morning. It's never a bad idea to refresh the pressure plate and clutch disc, too, as long as you've got them available.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction 617 hrs.)
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

Thank you so much. Like I said I really have no idea what I'm looking for. I have a new clutch disc so I will have that replaced also. I will lokk into the pressure plate as well. Thank you thank you

Comment

ok sorry to bother but I am on page 200 and do not see anything that refers to a throwout bearing. I see pressure plates and clutch plates but no throwout bearing. additional info would be helpful thanks

Comment

Don't have the catalogue handy, but here's their webstore:

Select Transmission category then the subcategory: rings, gaskets, seals and bearings.

Sorry, their site will not allow me to link directly to particular items

Comment

I hate to sound stupid but again nothing called a throwout bearing listed. I see front bearing, rear, releaae and reverse bearing. I have no idea which is which

Comment

Tip: SI catalogue refers to the part as a "Clutch Release Bearing".

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar Deluxe
              Vancouver Island Chapter
              http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander

Comment

"Throwout Bearing" is a slang term. It is actually a "Clutch Release Bearing" and they are shown on page 200 of the new 2009 catalog and on page 135 of the old catalog. The 7E-8E truck parts catalog shows just one application for all 1/2 & 3/4 ton Champs, either 6 or V8, part number 510171. This number does not match the SI catalog number, but the SI number 1550534 may work. Perhaps someone on the Forum who has done this will give further details.

Dean Croft
                Roseburg,OR

CLEM DESEE
                Dean

CLEM

Comment

On the far right collum, centre is the Clutch Release Bearing you are looking for. The last one is what I'd recommend. Also, [u]STOP DRIVING THAT CHAMP NOW!</u> Otherwise you will find that your bearing will damage your transmission. The noise you are hearing is the bearing chewing up your shaft and flange. SASCO has the same bearing as well.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                  Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Thanks guys for all the help. Like I said the tranny and clutch system is something I have not explored or know much about. I found a clutch realease bearing for 37.00 and I have a clutch plate. Now to find a place to install these for me. Again thanks so much and I am sure I'll have another ? at some point.

Comment

Working...
                    X