A pleasant surprise -Studebaker wise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A pleasant surprise -Studebaker wise.

It started raining this afternoon so I had to wrap up the yard work early. I came in the house and decided to dust off the Studebaker Junque shelf since I couldn't work outside. I hadn't done it several years. As I was emptying the selves I found a bag under some of the stuff. It turned out to be a bag from an antique shop in Indiana. I think I purchased it in about 1997 when we attended a meet in South Bend. Inside I found a copper or brass engraving that appears to have been for a newspaper or magazine ad for Studebaker cars. I bought it and forgot about it.

The top car says:
    1924 Model - Light Six 5-Passenger Coupe

The bottom car says:
    1924 Model - Special-Six 2-Passenger Roadster.

It is in perfect shape and the engraving work is awsome. I will try to get some better pictures if anyone is interested in seeing them.

1950 Champion 9G F1

That's pretty cool. I wonder if there were other years made. Are there any engraver markings on it anywhere?

Studebaker classifieds! www.studeswap.com

Comment

If my memory serves me correctly, you have one of the engraving plates used to print the 1924 Studebaker book. There were many plates available for sale, probably 10-12 years ago.

toyman

Comment

quote:Originally posted by toyman

If my memory serves me correctly, you have one of the engraving plates used to print the 1924 Studebaker book. There were many plates available for sale, probably 10-12 years ago.

toyman
        Thanks. The timing is about right. Do you know if anyone has downloaded one of those books onto the internet? I would love to see what it looked like.

Doug

1950 Champion 9G F1

Comment

Cool surprize![8D]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I don't recall it being downloaded here, and, we are house/dog/cat sitting at our Sons home while they are on vacation so I can't even look at my copies (there were three distinct issues) to tell you what page your engraving is on. The book does appear on ebay from time to time. When I get home next Sunday, I'll take a look and post whatever info I can.

toyman

PS: I 'think' there was a regular issue, a dealer issue, and, a stockholder issue, difference being the covers.

PPS: I just looked, there are NO books of this type for sale on ebay at this time

Comment

Thanks toyman. I'll keep my eyes peeled. It would make a lot better display if I had the picture to sit next to it.

Doug

1950 Champion 9G F1

Comment

Doug: Look at ebay no. 330351690219 = it appears to be a well worn version of the standard issue book. It should go rather cheap. You could wait for a better version. They appear from time to time. At least you know know what to look for. I'll still get back to you sometime Sunday after I get home and look at my copies.

toyman

Comment

Thanks Toyman.That book looks a little rough, but would still make a great addition to my collection. I'll let you know what happens.

Doug

1950 Champion 9G F1

Comment

Doug: Yes....your plate is Pg.94 in the book. When printed, the cars are facing right to left. The 'quality' of the books are:
                    1. Maroon cover, black printing on cover, cheaper (thinner) paper
                    2. Tannish cover, gold cover printing with a white/gold Stude logo 3. Dark Maroon 'grained' cover (cometimes referred to as leather??), embossed book title and gold embossed center design and Studebaker logo

I 'think' no. 1 was the general issue, no. 2 was for dealers, and, no. 3 was for stockholders and special presentations. I suspect that you will be able to tell the differences on ebay by the pictures. If you have any other questions, letme know.

toyman

Comment

Working...
                    X